Practice exam questions

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by greenbrucelee, Feb 5, 2008.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

How are practice exams weighted are they weighted the same as the real things or is that up to the people who have written the exams?

I ask this because I have just done two practice exams with very similar questions, I passed one and failed the other by about 100 points.

I havent studied since before Christmas as I didn't want to burn myself out as I knew it would be a while before I could take the exams. So I decided to start again, have I done the right thing or have I screwed it up?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

Everyone learns a different way, but taking time out is often a good thing to do.
    Practice exams are exactly what the say, just practice and the more you do the more you will get right.
    You seem the kind of person that is very switched on about taking A+ so just take it easy.
    Do the practice exams, read up, write notes & take time to chill out & not burn out.

And of course if you need help or advice, well your in the right place here!!

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  3. greenbrucelee

Cheers I just thought maybe I'd burnt out or not studied enough by taking a long break.

4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Probably best to go over the book(s) again just to pick up on the areas that you have forgotten since you were last in ‘study mode’.

Take the practise tests nearer the time of the actual test and brush up on any areas that may need improvement. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. greenbrucelee

I will do, I brought the AIO guide to work with me and will be finished (hopefully) in hour and half so I am gonna start reading up again.

6. Sparky

Cool, did you get an exam date sorted out btw?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  7. greenbrucelee

Havent booked yet, but I found out that taitec only do exams for their students now so I'll have to go to the Sunderland one I am going to restudy and as soon as I can get a holiday from work thats when I'll book the exams for.

I havent been able to take a day off work (apart from weekends) since August and its starting to piss me off although they are paying me 23% extra :)

8. Sparky

You need a day off now and again mate. :biggrin

9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

There's no way that practice exams can be weighted the same as the real exams... because the vendors of those real exams don't reveal how their questions are weighed (if they're weighted at all).

Isn't it more likely that the exams from one vendor are harder than those from the other? Or perhaps you simply got more questions on one exam that cover topics for which you are unfamiliar than you did on the other exam.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I'll be at MTC on the 27th March mate! :biggrin

11. greenbrucelee

ahh right so its a case of study, study and more study until you can pass all practice exams.

Well who knows might see you there :D

12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

No need to go overboard with studying and taking exams... but generally, yes; the safer, the better. :thumbleft

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  13. greenbrucelee

problem is I have the hardware side of things nailed, its the OS side of things that I am not totally confident with.