1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Powershell, C++ etc

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Jaron78, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Jaron78

Jaron78 Megabyte Poster

Nowadays, with knowledge (training guides, Video classes etc) just a Google Search away, does anyone else find themselves learning things that aren't really related to their jobs?

I am working towards the Network+ so I read on the way into work and on the way home. Once we have the study (Small Bedroom) setup, I will sit in there a few hours a week and do some notes / revision. I did start trying to study during lunch time at work, but as I am the only IT Person in the office, I am "bothered" all day.

I woke up this morning and thought, I fancy learning Powershell, and maybe a bit of C++. So I have the Powershell in a month of lunches book on my Kindle and a few You Tube courses...and away I go!!

Is this just me or does anyone else finding themselves doing things like this?

2. dmarsh

dmarsh Terabyte Poster

I've taught myself :- Scala, Python, Hadoop, CUDA, Apache Spark, Statistics, Java 8, R, Biology, Bioinformatics, Mathematics, Bioconductor, Reactive Programming, Computational Investing, Epigenetics, Microeconomics, System Administration, Pentesting/Shellcode, etc.

While some may be relevant in future, most don't really relate to my day job that much.

I was a full-time C++ programmer for about 7 years back in the late nineties, feel free to PM me if you have a question. The language has changed a lot since then with latest standard being C++14.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
    Certifications: CITP, BSc, HND, SCJP, SCJD, SCWCD, SCBCD, SCEA, N+, Sec+, Proj+, Server+, Linux+, MCTS, MCPD, MCSA, MCITP, CCDH
    Jaron78 likes this.
  3. Jaron78

Jaron78 Megabyte Poster

Thank you @dmarsh That is a very impressive list.

I am swaying more towards Powershell to start with but I really liked C++ when I was younger so hopefully the love affair is still there.