1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poweredge/IDS issue issue

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by morph, Jan 15, 2008.

1. morph

morph Byte Poster

Morning

wanted to see if anyone had come across this before - we've got a poweredge 2650 server running Linux Debian - with Snort IDS running on it.

Occasionaly - and there doesnt seem to be a pattern to this, i come in in the morning and try and vnc onto the server and the screens just black, go to the actual server and the monitor's just black, however if i shell onto the server - its all running ok, everythings happening as it should and looking at the system log for linux there's no error's at all, but i thought that might be the case as the OS is still running and snort's doing what its meant to.

So i was thinking there might be a video card issue with the server? i'm sort of going down that route as linux is running fine....any thoughts anyone has on this ? :)

Certifications: Network +, ITIL Foundation, CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: server/ccna security
  2. morph

morph Byte Poster

i've now gone to check the server logs, and i'm getting utility conifiguration (F10) unavailble when rebooting the server...its gonna be a long day.....:cry:

3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I've had problems with certain video chips and the screen-saver/blanker in Debian.

I fixed it by changing the X11 driver to a less advanced one. The screen wasn't so pretty, but I didn't get any more black screens!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. morph

morph Byte Poster

ah nice one - gonna give that a pop !
    Luv this forum :biggrin

5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Actually, I had a similar problem with one of my Ubuntu installs. I just disabled screen savers and set the monitor to go into standby after a certain number of minutes. Sounds like you've got it sorted though, morph, thanks to Harry. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. Node

Node Byte Poster

reconfigure xorg!

Certifications: MCSA, MCSE,