Power connectors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MrNice, Oct 28, 2005.

1. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

Alright dudes,

New system has arrived and is currently under construction, first stumbling block I could do with some advice on...

Pentium D830 on a MSI 945P platinum mobo. The mobo has 3 power connectors on it but my PSU only has 2 that fit and 1 4pin connector that doesnt match the 6pin version on mobo. According to the mobo manual the three connectors are used to control the CPU?

Any one had similar? PSU has pentium 4 and AMD compatible and is 550w although it is a relatively cheapo.

2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I thought the 6 pin was the PCI-E power for graphics

the cpu should use the standard 20pin (or is it 24pin) and a 4 pin square thing
    atleast P4Cs do :)

Edit: had a look at the board, which 6 pin are you refuring to? I only see the two standard CPU power slots
    and a molex plug for perhaps PCI-E graphics?

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Taking a look at the MSI site for that motherboard it says that there are a 24 pin, an 8 pin, and a 4 pin power connector on that board that must be connected. Sure you're looking at the right connector?

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  4. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

Sorry guy's I meant the 8 pin connector! My PSU has a 4pin but no 8? The main ATX 24pin and ATX2 standard 4pin I have in. It is the CPU power but I have 4pin not 8 pin connector?
    Thanks for the quick reply

5. ffreeloader

You don't have the right power supply. You're going to have to buy another one.

6. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

I had a feeling this may be the case, any idea if its possible to buy a conversion cable like you can for for 4 pin to SATA?
    anyone recommend a decent PSU that WILL work? Very tight budget on this as I am already way over the grand mark!

7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

ok im confused
    you have the ATXV2 plug
    so what are you missing?
    I cant say ive ever heard of that molex plug being used for the CPU
    any extra connections are usaully for PCI-E as I said aboved, which are not essential

8. ffreeloader

Before I recommend a specific power supply....

Have you downloaded the manual for your current power supply? Have you read the manual? After a little research it appears that many of the new power supplies--I haven't built a state of the art system for a couple of years--use multipurpose cabling and you have to adapt what they send you. Many of the power supplies actually have a system where you combine two 4-pin connectors to make the 8-pin connector.

Do some more reading in your manuals and see if your power supply isn't one that gives you multi purpose cabling systems.

9. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

Ok, my mainboard has 3 different power connectors. The first is a standard 24pin ATX connector. The second is called ATX2 by MSI and is a molex 4pin connector. The third is called the CPU power connector and is a 12v 8pin. My PSU has a 12v 4pin cable (that is used on P4's) but no 8 pin connector. I am looking for a way around this.
    Thanks for all the input, it really is appreciated. :biggrin

10. ffreeloader

What PSU do you have? Make and Model.

Have you read the manual? Have you gone to the manufacturer's site and researched this?

11. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

ok must be me just looking at it all wrong
    as i could only find a 4 pin looking connector
    lol

12. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

13. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

Alright dudes,

anyone used a Tagan PSU before? Having severe difficulty finding a PSU with an 8pin CPU connector. Seems the Pentium D 820 and celeron D's use the 4pin connector like a pentium 4. The pentium D830 + and extreme editions are the only chips that require this new connector!
    So going by the www.overclockers.co.uk website the Tagans has 24/20pin ATX and 4/8pin support which I presume is what I need, althouh I aint ordering a thing until I confirm this with a call on monday!

14. ffreeloader

Check out Antec power supplies. Their power supplies come with wiring kits so that you can adapt them to most configurations. I can't remember the exact model I was looking at yesterday while researching this, but they have some in the 400-500 watt range that have the ability to do what you're looking for.

15. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

Just to finish the thread I went for a Tagan 480w PSU which has all the bells and whistles, very quiet and future proof, it has 2 X 4pin CPU power connectors that you fit together into the 8pin and twin PCI-E power connectors as standard.
    http://www.tagan.com/