Posting without an introduction

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by wizard, Aug 1, 2006.

1. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Okay this may sound a little petty, it isn't aimed at anyone in particular. I wish people would have the courtesy to at least introduce themselves first before getting stuck in to posting in the other parts of CF. I equate it to barging into a room full of people and starting to talk, people just turn round and say "Who the hell are you?"

It only takes a couple of minutes to introduce yourselves. I like to get to know people first before helping them.

It may sound like an old fashioned way of doing things, but there is always room for courtesy.

Thanks for reading.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  2. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

I think it's unnecessary. I mean sure, introduce yourself if you want; but really, you don't need to know anything about anyone in order to help them.
    Besides, most introductions are all the same - "Hi, I'm Joe and I'm thinking of studying or working towards x cert, nice to be here" - with the mandatory spamming of "Hello"s and "Welcome"s.
    Completely pointless.

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  3. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Okay you are welcome to your opinion, but I feel a lot more comfortable helping someone because I know a bit more about them. I have helped people in the past without knowing them only to discover they were scumbags.

4. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

In that case, regardless whether the person has done a Into thread or not, you will only find out whether that person is a scumbag later, it will not show in an intro thread...

5. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Good point Cheek!

Can Wizard elaborate on what he classes as scumbag?

Do you mean spammers?

EDIT:OK - just so CF members don't get the wrong idea:- I am asking a question, posting my opinion!

I am not having a go at Wizard......It's getting so diffucult these day's to post questions and opinions without someone taking offence:(

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  6. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

For the last two weeks I have been doing Volunteer work in an IT dept. It's such a small IT team with only 18 staff to maintain 2600 users.

It's a tough environment, people just don't understand, that when their PC or printer goes wrong that IT can't just drop everything! They have to log the call and wait inline otherwise it's like jumping the que!

Yet we don't introduce ourselves, we go and get on with the job and help people as much as we can!

It's the same here at CF, how many members of CF have replied to a Thread about learning providers or computer problems?

The person who posted that thread may not post again or is unsure if they can contribute to the forum because they are new and feel they know very little on the subject?

q) CT a learning provider has just told me it will cost me £5000 to do the MCSE . Should I do the course? The salesman said CT are the best and will even set me up with work placement and a job at the end with a salary of £20k!!!

What should I do?

:biggrin

7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I can see both sides of the argument, so I guess it all comes down to personal preference.

However, it does remind me of an interview recently on the radio. A guy was giving a 'peace' seminar in the middle east somewhere. He had been tipped off by someone in the audience that one of the attendees was a secret policeman.

So he made them all arange their chairs in a circle and stand up one at a time to introduce themselves and explain what they hoped to gain from the seminar.

Apparently a dozen moustaches were quivering with barely surpressed laughter and one face was beaded with sweat.

I guess what I'm saying is that someone who takes the time to introduce themselves is more likely to be a good contributor, rather than a spammer or trouble maker.

They don't necessarily have to post it in the new members thread, but it would be nice to know a little bit about people before they start asking where to find good braindumps.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  8. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Interesting point...

I never introduced myself!

yet I am still here and I seem to remember Baba was the same he didn't introduce himself to almost a year later. Yet he is still here????

9. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

No I'm not!:D

I did give kind of an introduction in my first post though. I see the point that many people come on here, ask a question that if asked verbally would probably sound quite abrupt coming from a total stranger, and then if they come back at all, they certainly never post again. I'm all for lurkers, not everyone is comfortable enough to be putting things out there in the public domain, but if you are going to post, at least show some manners.

IIRC, there have been a couple of long term lurkers post introductions lately, and good on them.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  10. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

What does IIRC stand for Baba?

Is there a place or a book out there that list what all these abbreviations mean:-

WTF, LOL, IMHO, M8, Theses are the one I know thanks to ffreeloader for explaining them but what about the others?8)

11. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

IIRC - If I remember Correctly.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  12. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Members don't have to post a welcome introduction thread but for many its a good way to get acquainted with the site and our members. For some its a good way to feel a little more at ease and sets them up for posting in other areas with questions or even helping out.

I'd like to hope this site is not just a forum but also a community and in my opinion welcoming new members to our community is a socially relevant activity. :)

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  13. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Personally, i don't mind whether people introduce themselves, although it costs nothing, takes very little time and is considered polite, so why not?

just my 2p...

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  14. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I've sent you a PM, if you can read it and this message.

My PM has nothing to do with this post. 8)

I mean scumbags away from the internet, you think they're decent people and they turn out the opposite to what you expect. I have been in a situation where I have helped complete strangers out and it is has landed me in a world of hurt. Maybe an introduction is not really an indicator of how a person will turn out, but it does give some foundation to work on. My days of blindly trusting people have gone years ago, people have to earn my trust and I really have to know a bit about a person.

15. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

Sorry, but what the hell does "trust" and "hurt" have to do with giving someone some computer advice??:blink
    As far as I'm concerned, the member I'm helping could be Bin Laden and I couldn't care less. It doesn't hurt you or me.

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  16. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Okay maybe it is going a little off topic, but I like to apply the same standards as I do out in the real world as I do on the internet, even though it may not seem that way or logical. This may may sound a little paranoid, but you can still get "hurt" in a sense.

What you say or do on the internet can come back and bite you in the backside. Maybe one day I'll start to blindly trust people again.

17. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Tough one mate, but it doesn't work like that.

In this anonymous cyberworld, you never know what you're getting into and you can't really compare it to the real world.

The blonde with big t1t$ is a 12 year old boy - what can you do?

Funnily enough, I've just been reading a thread in the CIW section where I slated some guys website and it turns out to be one of our members who built it...

Small world, eh?

The point is, we take a lot on trust. No matter what you say you are, you could be the managing director of Scheidegger for all anyone knows.

It's a very different form of society, and one which goes against what a lot of us believe to be the norm.

I suppose you've got to accept it or stick to 'conventional' means of communication.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  18. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Thanks Wizard for your PM:biggrin