Postgrad Funding

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by UKDarkstar, Feb 24, 2009.

1. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

All the recent threads on Masters etc. have got me looking at this again myself.

I did start a Masters in Business Information Systems back in 2003 but had to drop out due to funding as I was trying to run my business too.

Given the lack of a job at the moment I think it may be an option (if nothing crops up) to look at this with a view to getting apart-time job whilst studying.

Biggest issue is going to be paying the bills whilst studying so I did a search for help on funding and came up with this site which looks like it might have some useful info (even tho' it's very cluttered to look at !).

Anyone else come across funding sources in the UK for mature students doing postgrad studies ?

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Did you gain enough credits to be awarded the Post-Grad Cert/Diploma (PGCert/PGDip)?

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

No, I completed the first term albeit there were no exams or anything. I have looked at PGCE but not convinced it's quite the right thing for me.

4. Kitkatninja

PGCE, Post Grad Cert of Education? You want to be a teacher? It's not for me either, lol :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  5. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Well I wouldn't mind lecturing at a Uni but not to kids, nooooooooooooooooo :p

6. Kitkatninja

People at college or Uni are totally different, for that now-a-days you need the PTTLLS/CTTLLS/DTTLLS or the Cert Ed. I wouldn't mind doing that, they're there because they want to be, not because they have to be :)

Sorry for changing the subject of the original thread, btw :oops:

-Ken

7. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

I would be interested if anyone knows of any funding for Postgraduate education- it's one of the reasons why I didn't proceed with a Masters.

8. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

If you look at that link I gave you can go there and investigate funding for different uni's. It's a bit vague for some and lists all sorts of Trusts etc that can provide funding but you may find something depending on the course and which uni.

9. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

Going away from the topic abit. I was advised by quite a few people about doing a Masters (MSc/MPhil).

They seemed to think very highly of getting one and getting ahead of competition.

One of them my cousin who is now in an extremly well paid job e.g. 70k+ at Apple had no proper qualifications though needed a Masters to progress. Without it when he got to the higher levels he would have been stuffed I was told.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.