Postal Strikes

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Fergal1982, Oct 11, 2007.

1. Iklekid

Iklekid Bit Poster

A question if I may, how long does it take to send a letter from one side of the US to the other? Be interesting to know considering the size of the country....

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, CIW Associate & CIW Pro
    WIP: CIW E-commerce and 70-270
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I dunno...two to three days maybe. If I post a letter today, it'll be processed tonight and put on a plane tomorrow morning. From there, it will arrive at it's destination city and depending on whether it's going to an urban or rural location, it will be processed that night and delivered the day after. Of course, if one of those high speed mail sorting machines shreds it, it disappears forever. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

Wow getting mail deliveried that must be really cool:rolleyes:
    A week without snail mail seems so long & i'm so looking forward to all the junk mail as well!

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  4. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

If you don't like the conditions - go get another job - for me that applies for everyone, nurses, doctors, coppers, firefighters, postal workers, tube drivers, the pope can even get another job!!

Firefighters - do a great job, putting life on the line for others, definitely support them in the job they do. They're not happy with the pay rises - or lack of them - tough, go get a job that pays more. Conditions change - they have to work 4 on 4 off instead of 3 days, 3 nights, 3 off or whatever - tough, go get a job that suits your life more.

Armed Forces - definitely respect to those guys out in theatre - but same applies, don't want to get shot at while on operation - don't join to start with! AFAIK, they can't strike so thats OK!

Tube Drivers - paid more than coppers, firefighters, nurses, assuming that's right, and I'm not saying it isn't for a second - its market forces - Job A £10k pa; Job B £15k pa - more often than not, Job B is going to be the preferred option. Want more applicants to appy then increase the pay - simple... market forces.

Don't like it, don't pay for it (go elsewhere where its cheaper) - works with consumers.
    Don't like the pay on your job - go get a new one.

I can't stand these people who think they are above everyone else, and they are more hard-dunby (sp??) than everyone else - time to pull their heads out of their a*ses I think.

:mad:cussing:mad:mad:mad

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  5. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Whilst I think this particular strike is an utter load of tosh, and also think Bob crowe should be shot
    I have to wonder about the reaction some of you have been taking

Half the reason this country is in the shitter that it is, is because of the attitudes I'm seeing here, yeah lets bitch and complain, so much so that the government removes the rights that the strikers currently have
    that will be great for public opinion, but when the shite hits the fan again and you realise you actually have no rights left, what you going to do then?

in the last 5 years we have seen civil rights dissolved, police powers increased, over 100 new laws passed to criminalise things, we are so far in the shitter were stuck in the u bend underneath

At the moment, strikes get noticed, they have the clout to change stuff
    when its you on your lonesome who realises there rights have been removed and can't do a think about it, you dont have the collective power to do squat, just suck it up and move on

this is a VERY bad situation to be in, and people are just too blind to notice before its too late

Think strikes are shite? me too if there for the wrong reasons
    remember when the RMT went on strike because that fella got the axe for claiming sickies when someone saw him at the bookies or something, yeah its time like that we should be bitching

Fireman feeling there paid too little for the job they do? hell yes we should support them if there plight is true, they risk their lives, and without them we would all suffer
    its easy to say 'go get a new job' do you have any idea how much is invested in a veteran fire fighter? both in experience, training and morale? the pay rise is a small price to pay to keep that on board

In this instance I'm siding with Zeb, the whining has got to stop!

A few ideas to consider (in that whole, take your own life into your hands train of thought)
    you need mail? courier it, its expensive, but you will get what you want when you want it
    most only e-tailers have courier options, so no problems there

You run your own company and are being effected?
    well do the right thing, send your invoices via Fedex/ups, with a pre paid return envelope
    your clients will be glad you made the effort to get them the invoice on time, and by providing them a means to pay, you will get your money too, small things like that BUILD customer relationships, so what if it costs you a few quid?

What Matt has said holds true, people have been riding the gravy train for far to long and now they are suffering, but not everyone is like you mate, if they were the chances are they would be in a different career
    the fact is is everyone had that level of motivation and drive, we would have no one at the bottom of the ladder doing things like delivering mail, we would have a bunch of Phds with no where to go but mcdonalds for 4ph because everyone's tried to be the best!

Zebs right, whilst the results are seen here and now, the reasons have been building up through over 10 years of management cocks ups
    the civil service is exactly the same, but you know what? no body likes to sack management, despite them being the root of a lot of problems
    go figure.

anyway enough with my poorly formed rant :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0