Possibly a veeeerrry stoopid question!

Discussion in 'A+' started by DancingQueen, Mar 20, 2009.

1. DancingQueen

DancingQueen New Member

Apols in advance! :oops:

OK, so I 'bought' the A+ course from Home Learning College about 4 yrs ago :oops: then fell preg with my eldest, lots of other stuff happened, then I had my youngest back, so anyway, I am now finally about to start the course (if one of the tutors ever calls me back :rolleyes:).

Do I actually NEED a PC to work on to do the course, or can I do it just using the books? I am so :oops: because I'm sure you're all going to say "OF COURSE you need a PC, duh!!" lol.

We do have our own, but I can't risk doing anything to that, plus we use it every day, and we definitely can't afford to buy one.

Thanks in advance!

DQ
    x

2. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

It would definately aid the learning process, as you would be able to carry out the tasks you've just read in the book physically on a pc.
    It definately isn't worth shelling out for a new one though, and you'll probably find a cheap second hand one on ebay.

HTH

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  3. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Erm, really sorry but...

OF COURSE you need a PC, duh!! :p

You need as much hands on as possible - afterall, once you have the certification ... and perhaps even land a job in first line...you won't last one day without a decent amount of hands on experience!

If you don't want hands on, perhaps you'd better ask yourself why you are going for the certification as if it's just to get a job in IT because it's IT then you really won't last long.

Also - word of advice. Being a woman, you really need to know your stuff (or at least show that you are serious and technically minded - wiling to get your hands dirty and stay there until things work (be it at weekends, the night before you go on holiday...or late into the night) 8)

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

It would be good to have a spare PC to mess around on. I got an old PC off ebay for the £30 or something like that when I was doing the A+, it came in handy. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I got one from a recycling center for £60

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You don't HAVE to have a PC to practice on... but it certainly helps! Hands-on experience really solidifies the concepts you're learning. As others have already mentioned, you can buy an ancient PC to practice on, and it shouldn't cost you much at all. In fact, just shopping for a used PC and comparing specs (processor types, memory types, add-ons, motherboard limitations) will help you get VERY familiar with the terminology and specifications!!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

It's amazing what parts you can accumulate from friends (so many people have old PCs lying around in the loft that they will give you for free - even if just to borrow!). Best thing with that is that they then ask you to help fix problems for them in return...so it helps you improve your skills that way also! 8)

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  8. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

No one has yet mentioned to ignore the old books you have there,the A+ has changed to the A+ essentials,and is due to change again sometime in the future.Your material is 4 years old and out of date.

As others have said pcs are ten a penny at the moment,people throw out good pcs as they think they are worthless.

You should be able to get a decent pc built in the last 6 or 7 years free of charge,or £10-.

Certifications: A+ and MCDST 70-271
    WIP: mcdst 272