possible training comps

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by s1, Dec 12, 2007.

1. s1

s1 New Member

morning all out there, new as from last week and am looking into`companies`. would like to know if any of you are taking the advent route as i have had them round. also had ct round too. any comments from advent students would be appreciative. 45 yo newbie and would like to get into IT. any other 40+ out there??

Certifications: none.
  2. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

what certs are you looking at doing because you could save a lot of money doing it self study ?

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

As grim says you can do most if not all certifications by self study, all you need is the appropriate book(s) for learning a cert is a main computer and an old one that you can either take apart and put back together and network to the main computer.

Unless you want to shell out hundreds or even thousands on a training provider.

There are various threads on this forum (do a search) about Advent, you can make up your mind about them that way.

I myself was going to go with a training provider but found this place before I signed and was told of the benefits to self study and now advocate it whole heartedly.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. ManicMonkey

ManicMonkey Kilobyte Poster

Having gone through the training provider (when i left the forces as my resettlement) i am now a strong belever of self study / what you do at work rather than training providers.

However there are people who post here that prefer training providers, i have no problem with this as long as you are going over things you know and have done. What i dont think people like is boot camps type training where you use 'Brain Dumps' from previous exams to pass.

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: Exchange, Share point - MOM as well
  5. ByeNari

ByeNari New Member

Hi s1
    Like you -I need to make a change but unlike you - I'm 52! Been a teacher/trainer for most of the time. I'm seeing a guy from Advent next week so will let you know. I suppose there's still a lot of ageism around in this field (surfed) and as much as I'd like to self-study the idea that the training company also acts as a recruiting consultant is a carrot - or maybe a red - herring? Don't know.The impression I received from a Company I visited yesterday was more to do with a CV and having too much experience in other fields. Are IT companies looking for people ONLY with IT experience? Bit confusing as the older you are the possibility of more experience in 'other' areas is more likely. Would appreciate your views on this - particularly from people with years in IT.

WIP: ACE
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

They may tell you they will get you a job after the course you are going to do , I say take that with a pinch of salt have a search on CF about training providers and see why.

The may also say you will start on 30k that is definetly BS.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Another vote for self study. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!