Possible Support Job in Newport, Wales, UK

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Lugosi, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Lugosi

Lugosi Bit Poster

A few years ago I used these forums to work out where to start training and how to go about starting in IT, which with a lot of hard work, worked out for me, so I thought it might be nice to give a little back.

My company is taking on a couple of PC support guys. Basically the job is only being advertised internally(Tata - massive company) but they will accept external applicants if we interview them and consider them appropriately outstanding.
    Frankly our branch is the only one in Wales offering hands on support so the quality of internal applicants is likely to be limited.

The role would entail a mixture of first and second line support, potentially third line if the applicant appears skilled enough, to a mix of XP and windows 7.
    Back end is Windows 2003 and 2008.
    The primary responsibility would be support and maintenance of the PC and user base. But same as any company, there will be lots of flexibility expected. Networking skills / qualifications would be desirable as would SQL/ASP exposure.

Obviously I realise most people on here will have limited IT experience, hence being on the forum, however for an external(to Tata) applicant there would be a requirement of either good experience or Microsoft qualifications( -Both in an ideal world.) to justify us pushing him or her through.

The money and benefits are pretty reasonable but experience and qualification dependent, but as a guide the lowest we can offer, due to the grade of the job is £24k.

You can contact me for more details or to send a CV on an email to me.

Forum admin can let me know if I am allowed to put any more contact details on here

Certifications: MCSE,MCSA messaging, MCITP Enterprise Admin, Security+, Net+, A+ etc
    WIP: Loads of stuff!
  2. Lugosi

Lugosi Bit Poster

Just thought I'd do a quick update to this.

Thanks to the couple of people who enquired about the job. Whilst they didnt put applications in, we did employ someone from outside the company, (who scored under 20% in the technical test for those of you who have panicked over tests in interviews).

He has no experience at all in support, (the shortlist we had in the end turned out to be very light on actual experience) but we were quite impressed with his willingness to learn and the qualifications he had gained in his own time outside of work(OU degree in computing).

His starting salary is just under £30k and after a couple of weeks to settle in we'll be sending him off to get trained and certified.

Its just a note to let people know there are jobs out there. And on occasion how you present yourself at an interview can heavily tip the balance where there might also be any lack of experience or qualifications.

Certifications: MCSE,MCSA messaging, MCITP Enterprise Admin, Security+, Net+, A+ etc
    WIP: Loads of stuff!
  3. rocdamike

rocdamike Byte Poster Gold Member

This is great advice thanks. Gives me a little bit of hope.

Certifications: F5 CTS, LTM | F5-CA | CCNA: Sec | CCNA: R&S | ITIL Foundation
    WIP: AWS Solutions Architect