Possible Role Offer

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Wilo, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Wilo

Wilo Bit Poster

Hi Guys,

Its my first post on this forum. I have been out of work for roughly 4 months due to some personal cirumstances, and have recently been offered a role as a Junior IT Technician. I previously worked for a large IT Corporation providing 1st line support to XP users in a windows 2003 environment. The new role i was offered pays less than what i used to earn (which was not alot either) but is a more varied role that involves supporting roughly 200 internal users, building pc's, utp patching for telephony and data, and on top of this i get hands on experience in the server room doing backups and various other hands on roles. Would this be a wise move from helpdesk 1st line as i would like to go the desktop support route or 2nd line or would it be better to carry on looking for more opportunities. I asked this as im curious as to wether the skills gained would be of benefit for me to progress to desktop support or second line. :rolleyes:

Certifications: A+ MCP 70-270
    WIP: MCP 70-290
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

From how you described it, I believe that it is absolutely a good move. The server administration experience will be quite beneficial to your IT career.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Wilo

Wilo Bit Poster

Thanks Boson. The only thing that really bothered me was the fact that the salary was lower than previous which was not alot in the first place, but dont get me wrong at this point in my career the most important thing would be to increase experience and my skill set. I just hope that i would get enough out of the role.

4. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi Wilo and welcome to CF:), judging from the way the new role is been described I'd go for it as long as you'd be learning.

Best wishes and lets know how you get on.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

It sounds like a good opportunity. Why not take the job and see how you feel after a year or so?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. Wilo

Wilo Bit Poster

Thanks guys! I really appreciate all the advice. :biggrin. I hope its still available. I was asked to drop from 14k to 13k, so i said that i would have to think about it due to expenses. I hope i havent blown my chance. They said they would make decision next week and let me know as they have another person to interview but if there was anything else i wanted to know, just call the agencey. Should i call them tomorrow?

7. Sparky

Yes, give them a call and say you can take the job if it is available. Like a said, once you have a year or more experience on your CV you will have more options when applying for jobs. :thumbleft

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  8. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I would also add that salaries have been going down, remember that we are in an employers market, if you don't want the job there will be others that do.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  9. Wilo

Wilo Bit Poster

SimonD. You hit the nail on the head there, the current economic situation can leave you discouraged sometimes. I will give them a call tomorrow and hope for the best. Guys, i really appreciate all of the solid advice that you have given. I will let you know how it goes. Wish me luck:D

10. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

I had such high expectations that this thread would be giving away free bacon roll's (with roll spelt wrong!) :cry:

I say go for it. Experience is King. Good luck. Jim 8)

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  11. Sparky

Yes, this seems to be the case. Especially for entry level jobs.

12. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

Thats not a lot of cash, but if you can afford to take this cut now then it looks like it will payout in the longrun! It may be worth speaking to them regarding your reservations regarding salary and ask whether there will be any additional hours/overtime/oncall avaliable :S just a thought :oops:

13. Wilo

Wilo Bit Poster

Cheers again for such sound advice :biggrin

14. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

It will get better, as an example I had been out of work since August last year. I managed to get a contract recently that's short term (2 months, now extended to 3 months). The bonus is that I am now being paid the most I have ever earned as a contractor (and I have been contracting for over 10 years). Things are turning around, slowly.

Stick with it, there are crap jobs and there are good jobs but you have to take the rough with the smooth.

When I left the UK to move to Luxembourg I took a £15 per hour pay cut, it took me YEARS to get that back. I am now at the stage where I should have been 5 years ago (women, can't kill em, can't do much with em... I left because of one but found the right one when in Lux :))

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  15. Wilo

Wilo Bit Poster

@SimonD. Im going through the same thing now mate! Its left me back at square one. Anyways I spoke to the agencey to let them know that i would be willing to take the job at the suggested pay rate (if it was still available). They said that they will let me know next week as soon as they get a decision. I should of just took it when they offered the first time:( Oh well i guess il just have to wait and see what happens and keep applying in the meantime.

16. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

I would definately take the role if given it.

As said from the description it will give you a new range of learning and one that will give you are more varied choice of where to go next in your career progression. You will still get to work with the stuff that you are doing on first line but will get further knowledge of telephone patching and networking, asked to do basic server stuff aswell.

If you take the slight paycut just now it will make it back up in the future.

Good luck and hope it is still available

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  17. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Fingers crossed for you mate!

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  18. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Take the job mate and get balls deep in the server room.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5