possible interview questions

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by rimjim, Mar 20, 2015.

1. rimjim

rimjim New Member

Hi all,

Been stuck in service desk support for a few years now and I finally managed to get a interview for a 3rd line infrastructure engineer job. The role seems to be your standard networking + vmware + windows environment with a couple of applications specific to the company.

Before the face to face interview though I need to a technical filter test, I have no idea what this include.

I'm okayish on my networking having some cisco certs. Was going to read up on fsmo roles and exchange functions and vmware terms. Any ideas on areas I should read up on?

Thanks!

2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

It's a tough one mate as the questions were probably written by someone in 3rd/4th line. All you can do is get a general overview and hope for the best really. If you've not worked on VMware in your current role, setting up a lab is always a good idea but you probably haven't attended any VMware courses. I wouldn't worry though as most people work their way up, and the questions might be easy for you. There's just no easy answer for interview questions as every place is different. You might find there's Citrix questions in one place, none in the next. One last point is that for some reason your username doesn't sit well with me..... ha!

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Ahh Jim's getting nervous and a little twitchy (or perhaps excited :p. thought this smily would do the trick).

As far as VMware is concerned I would probably have a look at some of their fundamentals training - https://mylearn.vmware.com/mgrReg/courses.cfm?ui=www_edu&a=det&id_course=189018 to give you a better insight to the technology.

Unfortunately at the 3rd line stage you're pretty much expected to have a good understanding of these kinds of tech, it's the 2nd line \ associate engineers who are given the latitude to learn about it. Certainly when I look to hire 2nd \ 3rd line engineers there is obviously a difference in skills gap that I would accept from one over the other.

It's been a few years since I have answered questions on a filter test but like you I would understand the FSMO roles, understand some IP addressing, difference between FT / HA, what tooling you may want to use for patching infrastructure (SCCM or WSUS for Windows, VUM for VMware infrastructure etc).

Maybe the different Linux distros out there and the kind of software update methods they use (APT or YUM etc).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  4. rimjim

rimjim New Member

thanks chaps.

I am getting a bit nervous Simon as I'm desperate to run away from the end users at my current role lol.

I do have some experience administering vmware in terms on creating machines, creating vlans on the virtual switch etc... and do have a lab at home but not been able to gain the funds to go on a vcp and learn the terminology.

Guess I'll just have to see what comes up in the test and if its meant to be its meant to be..... :thumbleft

5. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

So if you want to learn more you don't have to rely on the training for the VCP, there are plenty of free resources out there to help you with getting some experience.

Have a look at the vBrownbag podcasts that cover a wide range of topics not just VCP level. I would also suggest various books (Mastering vSphere)

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA