Portal 2 named ultimate game at Golden Joystick Awards

Discussion in 'Gamers Hangout' started by GiddyG, Oct 26, 2011.

1. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Just saw this on the BBC site: BBC - Newsbeat - Golden Joystick Awards: Portal 2 named ultimate game.

Who agrees or disagrees with the selections?

AC:Brotherhood is good, and I really love the campaign and the Horde/Beast mode in GoW:3.

However, having Portal 2 as the ultimate game? Played it. Sold it. It certainly isn't one I'd keep and play again. Started off liking it, but it soon became too much of a chore.

2. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

I didn't decide to buy it in the end, and I doubt from watching videos of Portal 2 that it is the Ultimate Game.

To be honest, I disagree about a lot of the choices:

Action/Adventure: Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood - Disagree
    Mobile: Angry Birds Rio
    Role play: Fallout: New Vegas
    MMOG: World of Warcraft
    Fighting: Mortal Kombat
    Racing: Gran Turismo 5 - Disagree
    Sports: FIFA 11
    Strategy: Starcraft II
    Music: Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock
    Free-To-Play: League of Legends - Disagree
    Downloadable: Minecraft
    Shooter: COD: Black Ops - Disagree
    One To Watch: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
    Innovation: Nintendo 3DS
    Outstanding Contribution: Sonic The Hedgehog
    Ultimate Game: Portal 2 Disagree

But meh, each to their own I guess.

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I must admit I didn't get those results at all.

I mean, Black Ops?
    Yes, hyped up, highly anticipated, pretty good but not nearly as good as previous MW titles and plagued with technical problems.

Portal 2? It looks good and the story bits are amusing, but it's just a repetative slog through a series of rooms and jumping through walls. Why? Really didn't get it and gave up half way through.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Agreed, tried to play portal the first one and couldn't get into it as it was very repetitive. Well each to their own, but been playing batman arkham asylum on the ps3 and now this is the game:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  5. Cunningfox

Cunningfox Byte Poster

I thought Black Ops was a big improvment on MW2. The campaign mode was weaker but the multiplayer was much better. I played both extensively with a group of friends, with MW2 we had endless moments of moving hosts and lost connections and lag. With Black Ops this dropped to a near zero. Yes we had a few issues when someone would get dropped from the party, but they simply rejoined the session in progress and we continued.

Also the 'Gun Game' was a brilliant addition and with a party going it's pure hilarity, I hope it's there in MW3. For those that didn't play it you all start with a Magnum pistol (1) and each kill gives you a 'more powerful weapon' climaxing in a ballistic knife (20) killing with which ends the game naming you the winner. Each time you are stabbed you go back to the previous weapon. It usually ends up with 3/4 fighting it out with the good weapons and a couple left behind resorting to stabbing.

After playing Black Ops for a while we had a spot of MW2 and found it just to completely manic and the old issues returned. So imo Black Ops > MW2.

Certifications: CCNP, CCNA, MCP
    WIP: ??
  6. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I really like Black Ops... I find it a much bigger improvment over MW2 and like Cunningfox said, although single player compaign wasn't all that, the mutiplayer made up for it... After all, I got the game to play online, not so much for campaign. All of CoD recent games have short compaigns so its almos expected everytime you by the game.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  7. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

It isn't a few feature though, the GunGame mod was one of the Counter-Strike gametypes back in 2002. I found it boring pretty fast :'( Wager matches were a treat but again it got dry after 3 or 4 rounds.

I much prefered MW2, but on PC we didn't have the host problems 8)

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
    Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  8. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Well, part of my failing is that I never got into the multiplayer versions of any of the COD series.

Doesn't do anything for me.
    The joy of listening to someone clearing their throat every few seconds, turkish radio in the background and swearing like a spoiled teenager because they got shot on a killstreak is my second idea of hell.

My first of course is having to meet these people in real life...

Much rather play against AIs that are actually programmed to act in an intelligent manner.
    The clue is in the name.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  9. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Been playing videogames for over 30 years. Portal 2 is hands-down the best game I've ever played.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  10. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I guess you had a bad experience... do you play on the PS3 or Xbox? I find the xbox online community for Black Ops is solid, a lot of skillfull players, etc... Don't know if its different in europe but I've always had a good experience. Sometimes you do get the clowns that swear and don't know how to play but its not often, at least not from what I experienced.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  11. Cunningfox

Cunningfox Byte Poster

If I'm not with friends I typically plug in the headphones, turn the volume down and put them to one side. No whining, no turkish radio just the game and a generally pleasant experience :).

Certifications: CCNP, CCNA, MCP
    WIP: ??