PortableApps

Discussion in 'Software' started by Stoney, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Here's a cool bit of software I got introduced to at work today PortableApps

It's called PortableApps and you install it on your USB flash drive. You can then download various applications built to run from the PortableApps client, install them, and then run them from your USB . This allows you to have your favourite applications on any pc (provided the USB ports haven't been disabled). Great for those of us that work and at a number of different machines, not so great for us security conscious IT bods that have locked down certain applications to end users, as they can now be run off a flash drive, doh!!

Anyway, security aside, here are some of the apps that are already available;

• Mozilla Firefox
    • Mozilla Thunderbird
    • Portable Command Prompt (just like Windows cmd.exe)
    • Portable Putty
    • A number of media players
    • CD/DVD writing software

and a whole host of other apps available to tickle your fancy! Linkage

Definitely worth checking out if you use more than one pc regularly :thumbleft

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  2. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

yes had that on my usb key for ages I pretty much do all my office stuff from it. I can also really recommend keypass portable which is also available as a portable app. great way of storing your passwords securely and also generating strong random passwords.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  3. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

4. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

Always seems to be the first thing that goes on my USB drive, each time I upgrade to a bigger one.

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  5. MsG

MsG Bit Poster

My favorite and most used pc is my Asus 701 laptop...it fit in my handbag :biggrin

And the portable Apps package, especially Portable open office, is a must have!

Certifications: Birth Certificate
    WIP: CCNA