portable firefox on a usb pen

Discussion in 'Software' started by grim, Oct 30, 2007.

1. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

is anyone else using or used this before, i'm finding it to be really laggy with awful load times. all im doing is opening normal websites :( ?

i'm using a 2GB easy disk usb pen (not the best i know but it was a freebee :))

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  2. g.vangemerden

g.vangemerden Bit Poster

Are you using a U3-sticK?

I am, and is not slow at all...

Certifications: See signature..
    WIP: MCITP:DBA - MCITP:SA - MCIPT:EA
  3. Metalstar

Metalstar Kilobyte Poster

I think it depends more on the machine you are on than the stick itself.

I use it on my work laptop (USB 1.0) and its fairly quick and its very quick on my home PC running vista (USB 2.0) having said that, my parents laptop lags awfully and the spec isnt too different from my work laptop.

I expect U3-Stick would be better though!

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network+
  4. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Nope. I don't stop at bringing my own browser. I bring an entire OS..... I just bring alone a live cd and boot into Linux. :biggrin

You can do the same with a usb stick too. If a machine will allow you to boot from usb, you can boot Linux from a usb stick. Windows won't let you do that because of the licensing restrictions. MS doesn't want you taking your OS to another machine.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Er - <cough> Windows PE? :biggrin

Try the BartPE disk.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. ffreeloader

LOL. Why would I want to move backwards, Harry..... :biggrin

7. hbroomhall

<grin> I wasn't saying you would want to do it, just challenging your statement "Windows won't let you do that". :biggrin

Harry.

8. ffreeloader

Yeah, I know, Harry. But, BartPE isn't exactly Windows, now is it? It's not something you even get from MS. :twisted: MS isn't about to let you take your XP install from one machine to the next.

From the front page of the BartPE site:

9. hbroomhall

That quote is a little misleading. In fact BartPE *is* windows, simply because you use your *own* Windows media to make it. This was the only way Bart could make it work without being told to "cease and desist" by Microsoft. And the wording of that quote is intended also to keep Microsoft fairly happy. It may not be PE, but it is very close to it.

I agree it isn't the same as a Linux Live CD, but at least is a member of the same family.

Harry.

10. ffreeloader

Harry,

You can't take that media, install it, and have a legit Windows install on any machine, unless you previously removed the Windows install you had created with that same media. That's a huge difference to me. You also can't use it to repair Linux installs.

I have to admit I've never used a BartPE disk, but I will say have heard good things about it. It just isn't in the same family because of licensing restrictions, and because it is only useful for one repairing one OS. It's the closest thing you'll find in Windows to a Linux live cd, but it's not nearly the same thing.

11. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

the pc is a dell GX620 6600 c2d with 4gb ram running XP SP2.

the usb pen is a bog standard one

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640