Poo:Poo Degree

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by adam9, Apr 22, 2016.

1. adam9

adam9 Bit Poster

I got a 2:2 degree a number of years ago and employers in the rare interviews I get bring it up and ask why I didn't do well along with my D's at A-Level.
    During my 3 years at Uni I worked at Sainsbury's so I'm thinking, ditch my degree and just emphasise that I spent 3 years after sixth-form at Sainsbury's. Some months after my degree I did bunch of CompTIA and MCP certs before my first entry level IT job so that would show the transition away from pushing trolleys to IT.
    I hoped the experience I accumulated in IT and the certs I passed at the time would mitigate my rubbish academic record but it doesn't seem to be the case.

What do you think will taking off the degree actually improve my CV?
    During A-Levels I worked in my local Iceland so I could ditch my rubbish A-Levels too maybe.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Hi Adam, I've got a degree and I don't put my A levels on my CV any more. I did fairly OK, but not all A's. I'd leave your A Levels off definitely. With regard to your 2.2 degree, I wouldn't worry about it. You've shown commitment sticking with the course. What was your degree in? Some find they pick Physics say, find it bores them and end up in IT. I know a good few people in IT with Physics degrees, not really related to Computer Science

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  3. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

I would put you have a degree, there is no need to mention the mark, most will not ask, if they do they do, simple.

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  4. adam9

adam9 Bit Poster

Thanks for the replies. I'll definitely leave off my A-Levels and keep the degree on then, also without the grade for a while and see what happens.

My degree was in Computer Science. I remember one of my earliest interviewers saying "Why don't you want to be a programmer? I don't want to hire you in IT Support just because you find you can't get a job in programming!" I blagged something about less chance of job being outsourced and enjoying the strong customer services aspect.

5. FlashDangerpants

FlashDangerpants Byte Poster

You could have said you don't enjoy programming. Quite a lot of CompSci guys go into support for that exact reason.

Certifications: MCITP Exchange 2010, MCSA Svr 2012
    WIP: Exchange 2013
  6. adam9

adam9 Bit Poster

Yep I should have said that. Nowadays I don't get asked that but if I ever do I'll say something along those lines like "I enjoyed the IT modules in my degree more than programming modules".

7. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

In all honesty mate I feel my degree has played no part in my career but that's just me. I did it for me not for work. You've got yourself a BSc (hons), its a life achievement and you should be proud of yourself. See how you go leaving your grade off but I wouldn't worry. Once you get your experience no one will care if you've got one trust me

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
    Kitkatninja likes this.
  8. adam9

adam9 Bit Poster

Thanks jk2447, I do have a few years experience so it maybe a case of trying to show that off more without exaggerating.

9. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I agree with @jk2447 I'd say leave it on, it's a degree after all and you've earned it :)

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
    JK2447 likes this.