Poll......What did your first salary pay in I.T

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by tysfoot, Dec 11, 2008.

?

What was your first salary in I.T

1. Below £10,000

9 vote(s)
    11.8%
  2. £10,000 - £14,000

32 vote(s)
    42.1%
  3. Over £14,000 (Specify)

35 vote(s)
    46.1%
  1. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Im now the Systems Admin, and love it. Only a SMB so lots of exposure to lots of things!

Moneys also abit better to say the least... 8)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  2. DiscoDave

DiscoDave Bit Poster

£24,000 working for a software house supporting their products

Quickly realised it was crap so got a sysadmin job

3. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

First job is my current job :(
    Pays roughly 12.5k, and that's with a BSc in Management but no IT qualifications. I do however gain experience in hardware/software/support and server management.

4. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

Pay your dues! Things gt better

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  5. Wires_are_bad

Wires_are_bad Nibble Poster

I started my IT career in a first line position - earning 17k initially for supporting a software companies products. I was promoted shortly after joining and started doing desktop support with an increase in wage.

20 months later I moved to a junior systems and network admin for a giant organisation that provides all the training I could need (and a 150% salary increase compared to what I was earning!).

I think location plays a big part in salary. You'll find alot of IT jobs within London offer a much higher salary than normal.

Certifications: Bsc Business I.T (2:1)
    WIP: A+ and N+
  6. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Started on £17.5K for 1st Line Support.

Currently negotiating Salary for 2nd Line role, have to wait and see. Aiming for £24K which isnt bad after 8 months in IT :D

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  7. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Started at 12k as an 'I.T assistant' about two years ago.

Work paid for me to complete a HND/CCNA, so I worked part time and studied the rest.

Got offered a provisional increase to £17k if I got decent grades.

Got decent grades and passed both, promised another increase to ~£20k this coming July, with the aim being to take over my boss' job in the next couple of years (to become I.T manager)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  8. jamesclimax

jamesclimax Nibble Poster

I have been working in IT for a year now, having previously worked in the music industry (marketing, promotions, etc). I do basic 1st line desktop support stuff and am on £14.5k. Just started my A + with self study, thanks to some great advice I got from this board.

Onwards and upwards

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, MCTS
    WIP: MCTS 70-659, Oracle, SQL, ITIL
  9. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Took GCSE, A-Level, HND then BSc Computer Science route.

Started in mid 90's on 12K pa as a Junior programmer programming in C++ with MFC/Win16 and Visual C++ 1.52. Developing scanning and OCR products.

10. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

Left school, had no idea what to do, got a carpentry job 45 quid a week trainee. Hated it. Did a few similar jobs and hated them but had no real guidance on what i could or wanted to do with my life. Was unemployed for a year or more at about 19/20ish and was told i had to go on a workwise club for unemployed. Went every day looking for jobs and started a CLAIT course on basic office apps they were running. This moved on to an NVQ 2 in IT which gave me the confidence to apply for office based and IT entry roles.

Got a job working in an office at a legal company and gained an NVQ 2 in admin. Money was something like 9k and i was about 21 by then so it was pretty poor but i was learning how the world worked.

Left after a year or more and got my first IT job at a school which paid 11k. Found myself without a manager shortly afterwards and had to learn a great deal on my own with a full network to run. Issues with this job and some staff made decide to move on despite being offered more money. Landed a similar job at another school a year or so later and have been there ever since. Am on a little under 30k now in 6 or so years here. Have been offered other positions i have applied for such as in the NHS but my current employer always cranks up the money to convince me to stay.

Will be here another year or so then will move on regardless i think.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, ITIL v3
    WIP: MCITP EA
  11. Andy L

Andy L Bit Poster

I'm pretty much the same in every respect, except my BSc was in Applied Computer Technology... I've been here 11 months now and varied experience or not, I'm really looking to move onto something better paid and better supported!

12. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

My first 'real' job (i.e. one where I did IT full time as opposed to being the 'bloke who knew about computers' paid just under 20k. That was back in the last millennium... (God I'm old)

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  13. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

I started on around 14k, currently Im on just over 16k, didn't have any IT qualifications to start, unless you count my "CLAIT certification" which no one ever ever ever seems to have heard of:(

Certifications: A+, MCP 270, 271, MCDST
    WIP: 290
  14. dwhyte85

dwhyte85 Nibble Poster

I started on 15k as an IT Support Engineer within a school, moved onto programming (role was Delphi Programmer) and received 18k, moved on to second line support at 21k, now as IT Ops and on 22.5k + 5% annual bonus.:rolleyes: would love a bit more, donations welcome...

Certifications: Bsc. Comp Sci, MCP, MCTS, MCSA, CCENT, MBCS
    WIP: ICND 2, CEH and converting MCSA to MCITP: Enterprise Administrator
  15. JoshMac

JoshMac New Member

I was getting £11,500 - when i first started work at my current job I was agency staff and it took me over a year to get a temporary contract, then another year for permanence. The coucil was running a major restructure thats was not only running late but was also getting progressively slower. :rolleyes:

And I've heard of CLAIT! - I myself have one module short of 'New CLAIT 2006' :p

Certifications: ECDL, BSc CompSci Part 1, A-Level ICT
    WIP: NVQ3 Customer Services, A+
  16. Mecha

Mecha Bit Poster

Starting on 4th of Feb: 20k

Certifications: BSc Networking, A+ (601)
    WIP: MSc InfoSec, S+, CISMP, IA ISO27001
  17. swatto

swatto Byte Poster

Having left college and passing my BTEC National Diploma I decided to get straight into work and not go to uni. I started on 15K as supposedly just a data inputter but within 2 weeks of being there I found myself re-designing their access database and taking it on as my own (providing what support I could (had no power-level permissions) to users who used it off a citrix farm). Two years later and I have moved on from that job into 1st Line IT Administrator (logging emails, dealing with calls) with the same company. I am now on over 20k a year and trying to study for the MCP 70-270 although struggling to remember the stuff.

Certifications: BTEC Nat Dip: Software Dev, A+
    WIP: None Yet
  18. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

Thats nice money for first line

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  19. jamin100

jamin100 Byte Poster

Had a GNVQ IT (advanced) and no IT experiance
    Started at a high school on 5.5k (part time) 7 years ago, then got made full time to 11k.
    Stayed there for 2 years and joined a Primary school on 17k.
    4 years later and im still at the primary school on just under 25k

Currently have no certifications but am looking to change that now. Going to start with MCSE (i think)

WIP: 70-680