Pointers

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by zxspectrum, Oct 5, 2006.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Ok folks you knew it wasnt going to be long before i was on here picking all your brains lol.

Basically this is my assignment, obviously i dont want someone to do this for me , i need pointers, ill explain after the scenario.

A natioonal TV network is interested in running a story on the allegations and controversies surrounding recent global developements in internet relatd surveillance technologies. The possible news stiry would be entitled ' The internet and the loss of privacy', and will focus on , among other things, technical developements , legislation, and the resulting consequences for net users. your group has been asked to research the story and to present your findings to a team of producers and journalists, they would also like you yo present your findings in a web site.

Now thats the scenario, the other bit is i have to research the 'legislation side' of this as we are in a group of 3 , the other 2 will be researching the other 2 topics.

Now for my bit where the heck do i start as ive typed in various stuff into msn search and nothing great has come up , also one of the students on my course mentioned somehting along the lines on Enchelon, which is meant to be a spy sattellite , now is that true or just baloney.

The only reason im limited to my search id because im on the Unis omputers and i cant put firfox on or google, as i dont have admin rights etc

Any help would be appreciated Eddie

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Have you got internet access at home?

btw: what course you doing anyway???

..im sure someone will help out.

3. zxspectrum

The full course is informaion systems, which covers web design and the internet, computer sytems, buisness systems and software development. I dont have net access at home which is why im using the Unis stuff for the time being , i should get net access sorted in the next week or 2.

Eddie

4. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

thats sounds like a decent course...
    too bad about not having the net at home, maybe thats a good thing...

i dont know about the rest - have you searched the forum - im sure there is something around

5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

You should be able to search google by going to their main web page - you don't *have* to install the google bar localy!

Probably the most significant bit of legislation in the UK recently is 'RIPA' - Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000.

Just putting RIPA into Google should bring things up. There is a fairly long article on Wikipedia about it, but be wary of quoting it, academics don't like the way Wikipedia is structured so tend to be sniffy when it is quoted.

The item you quoted is 'ECHELON', which you should be able to Google for. This generates a lot of misinformed comment, so be wary of what you read!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  7. zxspectrum

thanks for that guys, that helps

Eddie