PMP study pointers

Discussion in 'Other IT certifications' started by siddsg, Feb 7, 2014.

1. siddsg

siddsg New Member

Below are some PMP study pointers I'd originally posted in another study forum....and would be useful for folks here as well....
    This was in response to a person who had failed the PMP exam and was looking for pointers to getting a better result the next time.

In the PMP exam, its important to not only get a high overall score, but also in each of the knowledge areas.

Some suggestions:
    1. Relook your practice tests in detail.
    Analyse which are the questions, knowledge areas, processes that you did not score well in and write those down.
    Concentrate on these over the others...read those sections again and practice similar questions again.
    I used to have a tendency to just take plenty of tests without actually analysing the results and working on the analysis.
    It is self-gratifying to keep taking mock tests in areas one is good and get happy with high scores.
    But that is not the objective....the objective is to improve in the areas we are not good in...for which one must do post-mocktest analysis and improvements.
    Once you start doing analysis based study, your scores will just jump!

2. Make sure you are referring to multiple books/material and not just the PMBOK guide, because you need a broad coverage and understanding from different perspectives.
    Below are the books I used while preparing for PMP which I cleared in June 2013.
    - O'Reilly - Head First PMP
    - Rita's PMP book
    - Andy Crowe How to Pass on Your First Try
    - PMBOK guide

3. Make sure you cover ITTOs. Though there are not many direct ITTO questions, there are many indirect scenario based questions that are based on ITTOs.

Thanks and Regards,
    Sidd

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
    Certifications: PMP, CSM, ITIL 2011 Foundation, Exin Cloud Computing