1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pleased to meet you :-)

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by onthewayout, Jul 28, 2012.

1. onthewayout

onthewayout New Member

Hi there,

Just wanted to introduce myself, and ask for some advice.

I've just turned 30, got no degree, but I've been working in a university library not far from London. My library job is part-time, so at the start of this year I applied for and got some casual hours doing 1st line support on the university helpdesk. My IT experience before this was very limited. I knew how to install Windows and Office on my own PC, and I'd helped students connect to the library wireless, but really I got my helpdesk job based on customer service experience and my boss taking a chance on an internal candidate.

I like the work and I've found it surprisingly easy to keep up with (listening carefully, taking lots of notes and Googling error messages gets me a long way apparently :)) and I want to gain more helpdesk experience, but if possible in a steady fulltime job so I can quit the library. Any tips, especially what to study / practice / get certs in first, would be most welcome.

cheers!
    otwo

2. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

Welcome to CF.

Google is truly your best friend, make the most of what she has to offer :)

Start with an entry cert such as the A+.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  3. SimonV

SimonV Petabyte Poster Administrator

Welcome to CF, if you have any questions find the relevant forum and ask away. :)

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  4. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF!

The hardest part is getting a foot in, and you've done that so well done. A+ is the next step! :biggrin

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  5. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster Premium Member

Welcome to CF!

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  6. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Welcome:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA