please i need some help

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by darco31, Apr 6, 2009.

1. darco31

darco31 New Member

Sorry for being repetitive but i need some advice on how to get started in the IT sector.I have zero experience and am looking into the web development or the networking sector.Where do I start? What certs are best recognized,there seems to b so many.My head is a bit of a muddle and nobody wants to give any real advice just sell there course or product.I dont want to go wasting money so any help/ advice will be greatly appreciated.

WIP: A+ Security + N +
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Well you need to decide what you want to do first.

If you want to go into web development most people on here will say that learning how to do it and creating a decent portfolio is all you need to do. The only cert related to this I know is CIW but like I said most people on here will say there's not much need in the CIW.

As for networking not many people walk straight into a networking position you normally have to start in a support position and progress into networking. The recommended certs for this are compTIA A+ ,compTIA Network + and Microsofts MCDST in this order. After you gain some experience then you could go for further certs.

Any you don't need to do a course for any of this you just need to get the books, practice, learn and take the exams or look at you local college as I would not recommend any Training providers.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Exactly what GBL said. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. darco31

darco31 New Member

Thanks guys, i am swaying towards networking because I like a more hands on approach to things.I also understand i wont just walk into a nice job I am willing to start all over again from the bottom up.Thanks again im sure ill be back with some more questions:)

5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

That is so true :thumbleft

We could say study this, study that... But without direction, it would be pointless.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. darco31

darco31 New Member

Thanks again guys,would it be a better choice to do the ccna course rather than the the microsoft one after the comptia A+ and network + exams.Just a note i am doing these courses in a recognized college of technology and not some mickey mouse training centre that promises the world and delivers very little.