1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help me choose the right publications

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by colsmith999, Apr 13, 2009.

1. colsmith999

colsmith999 New Member

Hi Folks,

I intend to study for my CompTIA A+ and hopefully pass both the Essentials (220 - 601) and the IT Techician (220 - 602) exams.

I need some help from the experienced members on which text books are most suited to help me learn and study in preparation for the exams.

I have sourced one or two sites and have found the following publications which I think might help.

1. A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, Sixth Edition - Author = Mike Meyers.
    2. CompTIA A+ Complete Certification Kit - Authors = Quentin Docter, Emmett Dulaney, Toby Skandier, James Pyles.

Does anyone know if these publications are what i need and are there more useful publications available? :rolleyes:

any comments and help are very much appreciated.

Certifications: none
    WIP: comptia a+
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yep, the Mike Meyers listed as your number 1 is THE best book for the A+ 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. colsmith999

colsmith999 New Member

Thanks Blue rinse,

Thats a cert for my shopping list

4. Swither

Swither New Member

The 'Self-study' guide stickied at the top of this forum mentions books that are recommended by people here. The Meyers book is one of them.

I have just got the Meyer's book and I have also signed up for a local college course and they recommend the other book you listed by Q Docter etc. I'll get that too probably, but note the next edition is due to be published in May.

Certifications: none yet
    WIP: CompTIA A+ - soon!
  5. Pheonicks56

Pheonicks56 Kilobyte Poster

I suggest looking into getting the Mr. Ford's Class series of Podcasts from iTunes which are absolutely free and cover all the same info as the Mike Meyers book, just a different way of learning the material. I also recommend using professormesser.com for their great series of videos which are absolutely free as well.

Certifications: BSIT, AAIT, A+
    WIP: Network+
  6. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Also note the next edition will cover the new objectives and not the 601/602 objectives.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  7. colsmith999

colsmith999 New Member

do you mean the format of the exam is changing too?

I dont want to buy any of the books mentioned and then find that the exam goalposts have been moved in a couple of months :rolleyes:

8. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

The new exams won't even be released for at least another 2 1/2 months, maybe longer. Then there's an overlap where both the current and new exams are valid, probably at least another 3 months.
    You have a minimum of 6 months to pass, and you'd have to wait at least a month to begin studying for the new exams. I think the small gamble of £20 on a book, most of which will still be relevant even if you don't pass the current exams in time, is worth it just to get started now.

There's also a lot of information out there on the current objectives, and practically nothing so far about the new ones, so doing the 601/602 is definitely the best way to go for choice of resources.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job