Played GTA4?

Discussion in 'Gamers Hangout' started by IThurts, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Gods yeah. I hate that. Seems like every title out now is the same thing. Using the latest graphics, sure, but still the same thing. I find myself routing around for my older games.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

There are too many linear games out there like BIOShock, it was a good looking game but very limited on where you can go. There are also too many games that are designed more for muliplayer rather than single player and that pisses me off.

Thats another reason why crysis is good because it had a good single player game. Oblivion is ace, I have started playing it again and have also got the expansion packs for it. I am only 70 hours in so still a lot more to do, :p

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I made a concious decision after about 10 years of solid gaming to stop playing games when I was about 19, hardly played games at all since then.

Learning to program takes a lot of time so the gaming had to go, also once you get a job coding for 50-60 hours a week you really need to spend your spare time sleeping and working out.

Virtually everything looks like a FPS these days, I feel priviledged to have grown up as a gamer when I did with many great innovative titles, sure the graphics were rubbish but the gameplay was awesome...

4. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

QFT in re to bioshock..nice looking...but very stiff in terms of functionality...just left you hoping there was a bit more to do eh?

Crysis was beautiful and non-linear...

70hrs in??? im like 70mins in oblivion...:blink

Certifications: BTEC national Diploma Computer Studies
    WIP: See Sig
  5. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

Blasphemy i tells ya:dry
    True in re to FPS aspect...thats why i liked gears of war/oblivion etc...i find myself liking 3rd person shooters more so to FPS..gets me a little moer "intimate" with characters....:oops:

Oh the days of broken sword(one with the clown)...where are the games that make you think AND are enjoyable?! Stooopid commercialsed new generation of kids......:cry:

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Personally, I don't care whether a game is "revolutionary" or not. It doesn't have to have new and innovative gameplay features, and it doesn't have to have better graphics than previous games. Is it fun? Do I enjoy it? If so... I don't care whether it uses ASCII art or photo-quality images. I could load up Master of Magic (Microprose, 1994) right this minute and STILL thoroughly enjoy it. :)

...and I've TRULY seen it all... I've been computer gaming since 1982. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

You may well hav seen it all...but havent we all? I still feel there is alot more to "see" still.

8. BosonMichael

Unless you've done nothing but game since you were 3, you haven't had the time to see it all. 8)

Just kidding... I have no idea what you have and haven't seen. But I doubt you've played ASCII art games on a Timex Sinclair 1000, or games where you had to type in the machine language code written down in a book to be able to play them on a Commodore Vic-20. :D If you have, I salute you. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  9. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

My oldest brother is 36 so....yes. He used to use all that stuff. Anyway, in r eto the cable issu i was having, i found this as a nat solution http://www.madcatz.com/Default.asp?Page=411

an hdmi convertor if anyone is interested.

10. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Im affraid i do!!!

Used to get my money on a friday and go down the games shop to get Sinclair magazine, sit there typing forever just to get some rubbish thing!! Hindsight makes it seem rubbish, but i remember loving it!! When was it.... err... 1985!! Dunno, oh the years go so fast!!:biggrin

Certifications: BA (Hons), A+
    WIP: 70-685 77-884
  11. greenbrucelee

I have gamed since 4 years old. My first computer was a Dragon 32 then I had a ZX 81my brother had a BBC Spectrum then I got zx spectrum 48k then I had an Amiga and an Atari ST then I moved on the consoles and I had SEGA megadrive,Super Famicom (Japanese version), XBOX and XBOX360

Then I bought my 486DX-2 with awhopping 48MB RAM :D

I have gamed on them all it just seems to me that games are too short these days due to the emphasis on multiplayer.

I want games these days to look good and to last a while.

12. BosonMichael

Amazing, isn't it?

For a Western Civ class project in high school in 1984, I created a Zork-like adventure game based on the Odyssey on my Vic-20. Saved it to the Datasette... took *7* minutes to load!!! :ohmy

Got an A. :) For the win!

13. BosonMichael

Deus Ex looks good and lasted a while. And it was released 8 years ago, in 2000.

Know when I played it for the first time? Just a few months ago. Loved it.

14. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

been playing this over the weekend/bank holiday...and if i could, would take back the poll option i made. I have really got into it without being forced. I can now see why there was so much hype for it...i guess just playing it a lil longer helped me realise it.
    I still do not think it warrants a 10, but its damn near close, now i have played around 15 hours of it. Its typically that GTA feeling of cruising when you want to cruise and shooting likewise, but with better graphics and the environment is quite speacil too.

Only about 15% complete, but its great so far.

15. greenbrucelee

It did look good and was ok, I played it when it came out.

16. Rover977

Rover977 Byte Poster

Hi, I wanted to add my tuppence worth to this discussion having today flicked through the official strategy guide for GTA IV in the bookstore. My first impression is that it looks somewhat dull, and slightly mysogynistic - with almost all male characters, each seeming to be the stereotypical shaven headed, stubble-chinned, tanned, slightly dirty looking, uncharismatic desperado that has lately become fashionable in computer games. GTA Vice City by contrast had a lot more color, both in the art work and the characters - and a lot more style. I remember thinking on seeing the follow up game 'Manhunt', by the same game studio 'RockStar Games' that they'd lost the plot - what a waste of game design skills and technology to create such a dour and depressing excuse for 'entertainment'.

I was interested to see someone above mention the Timex Sinclair Spectrum computer. I also owned one of these (the Timex factory was here in my home town in fact). I recall loading games from a cassette tape as it made a loud squelching noise and hoping there wouldn't be a load error as there often was. However when it did load it was worth the wait, to play the game 'Manic Miner'. Ok I am not exactly a professional gamer but I think I know what makes a good one - basically is it FUN to play - doesn't have to have great 3D graphics. Eg many people would still regard Lemmings as a great game.

Just my tuppence worth but I think principally a game should be fun to play but it doesn't do any harm for it to look good and have a sense of style as well.

(Ps I am also old enough to remember when the first Space Invaders machines came out - at that time it cost 10p per game)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Cisco CCNA