Played GTA4?

Discussion in 'Gamers Hangout' started by IThurts, Apr 30, 2008.

1. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

All i will say is:

Grand Theft Auto was the PWN on the PC when it first came out back in 1996/1997. Then GTA 2 and the add-on for the UK edition was just brilliant.

I wasnt happy when GTA 3 was released roughly the same time the PS2 became available. I do have San Andreas and Vice City for the PC and they are the shizzle...now its just a case of waiting a few months before GTA4. Man they should have just left it for the PC. Im gonna just have to enjoy Assassin's Creed until then. :biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

half tempted to get san andreas for the pc. its only a tenner at the moment...

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I'm about to splurge for the full set on Steam for 40 bucks (20 quid) for GTA1, 2, 3, SA, VC :)

wonder if they have modded 1 and 2 to run on modern systems lol

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. Fergal1982

I heard mixed reviews about steam. Is it actually any good?

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I didn't like it plus I thought it was a gateway for trouble so it got binned.:p

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

Ok firstly..

BM - give it up with the pc v console war...lol :p i had enough of that in the other thread:biggrin i think we prooved our point.

Steam is great....i thought:blink I use it to download some games ie:bioshock...its just a medium for games download...nothing more nothing less imho.

GBL& Fergal: GET SAN ANDREAS and download the san andreas MP...you wont regret it i promise.:biggrin

GBL: iv had the same CONSOLE since releasebut it has red ringed about 2 times and sent back 2 times...back i always get the same one back but fixed...mother F*******:x prob got something to do with my room being too hot....i got a boiler in my room so it gets a bit warm!!!

Certifications: BTEC national Diploma Computer Studies
    WIP: See Sig
  7. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

link dont work mate.

8. Fergal1982

oops, try this

9. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Err never had any problems with Steam, had to use it since pre HL2 for my free copy, and have always been an advocate of alternate distribution methods, I cant say i have had any probs with it
    I got HL2, Portal, DoW:SS and a few other games on it, and love the fact that when I format a PC I just fire it up and let it re apply all my games :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  10. Fergal1982

definately a benefit. might try it out with that GTA pack you mentioned. pretty good deal there.

11. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

In re to the cable situation...think i might just stick with component and tune down to 720p. The difference isnt that great in my experience and im still getting "hd" quality so whatever.:p

If i have to, ill just get a dvi adapter and use that so i can set my tv to its native res.(1360x768)...good enough i feel.

Edit:
    Just ordered a vga>DVI adapter so i can shoove my 360 cable into the vga slot of the adapter and the dvi into my tv...ill then be able to set the resolution to max.

12. greenbrucelee

Are you sure its the same one, I sent mine away four time, I was asked to keep hold of the hard drive every time when I got it back the console had a different serial number. i.e it was a new one. I think the place that fixes them was getting pissed off and just sent new ones out.

Sounds good :p

13. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I like it.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  14. Gaz 45

Gaz 45 Kilobyte Poster

Damn you Phoenix, that's more money I'm gonna have to spend now! :)

I think steam's pretty nifty, although I'll admit I've not used it massively.

As far as console/PC goes, GTA always struck me as more of a consoley game, but yes, the original was much better on PC. For GTA IV, it's more a consideration of 37" TV or 19" monitor... no competition really IMHO!
    Besides, the console versions have the advantage of actually having been released ;)

Certifications: MCP (70-229, 70-228), MBioch
    WIP: MCDBA (70-290)
  15. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

Played it again last night....i just cant help but get the feeling that this game is missing something. I dont know what but it is missing something but cant put my finger on it.:blink

Again i only done one mission last night and spent the rest of my time cruising, i heavily feel that these reviewers got too caught up in the GTA hype and were most prob paid to give 10.10's OR they are GTA fanatics themselves and got caught up in the hype too much.

Its a great game and accomplishment...but as far as a benchmark in gaming, im not sure where im supposed to be looking for this benchmark? Maybe a benchmark in console gaming but its like "been there done that" on the PC. SCARFACE for example on PC was the same deal, with better graphics i thought than GTA has :blink (dare i say).

I beg someone to proove me wrong because really WANT to enjoy this 10/10 game, but cant understand what the 10/10 was for?
    Also- i know im only 4% complete but whats with none of the shops being available to go into??? Seems as though you cant get into any shops anywhere apart from the food/clothes shops...maybe they'll open them up later in the game?Maybe they only open once you discover them?
    I love the environment but again, it just feels very clostraphobic (sp?) imho....anyone get the same feeling in terms of the game as a whole?

16. greenbrucelee

too much hype on a game always spoils the enjoyment when you finally get your hands on the game :(

17. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

Yea, but even so...i guess im just one of those that doesnt SEE what the big deal was...maybe if your like 12 or something then its great or if your new to the series, but iv done it before!
    *runs to poll board to ask if it was worth the hype* ........i got to know!

18. greenbrucelee

maybe your getting old :p or your getting a bit like me where you've seen it all before and only very occasionally does something come out where you think my god thats good. Like I did with Oblivion and Crysis.

19. Fergal1982

its swings and roundabouts mate. Sure, you cant see what all the fuss was about, and dont really like it, but plenty of others obviously do. You're never going to get a game that satisfies everyone. Even if someone is already a fan of the genre/series, theres a chance that they wont like the newest one.

Same happened with Halo3. It was hyped up and everyone eagerly anticipated it, yet when it came out, plenty of fans who were champing at the bit for it didnt like it. It happens everywhere, not just in games.

If you dont like it, ignore it. Trade it in for something else and wait for the next one to see if its any good. Meanwhile, head back to the older games to while away your GTA addiction.

20. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

Your my evil twin!! i thought the same!! Crysis blew my mind with the variety and scale and the little things like how the frikkn trees fell down.AI was brill at times too, the way they search for you and such. I created a map for that game.Must play more of that game!!!
    Oblivion was another too that i appluaded, beautiful lush environments...fantastic.

I think you nailed it with the above though...i think im only really impressed when something revolutionary comes along now....:(......hate that!!

I miss my ignorance.