Plasma vs LCD

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Fergal1982, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

The missus and I are considering getting a new tv (especially since the freeview box died conveniently about a week before the switchover here).

However, I'm not sure about whether to go for Plasma or LCD. I was looking at these two models:

LCD

Plasma

On cost, the plasma wins for initial expenditure, but the LCD costs less to run so would be a cheaper long term cost I suppose.

However, most of our viewing is DVD's, and the Plasma's seem to win on black viewing (we watch at night).

Has anyone got either of these, or any recommendations for the tech to go? I'm leaning towards Plasma myself, but its a lot of cash to blow only to discover it was a bad choice.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Plasma here mate, no complaints so far.

This is the one I have...

http://www.dixons.co.uk/gbuk/samsung-ps42c450b-42-hd-ready-plasma-tv-04906458-pdt.html

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Either would be an excellent choice, however there are a few things you might want to consider.

Plasma has better defenition especially with the colour black.
    Plasma uses more electricity than LCD
    Plasma is still tolerant to burn in & ghosting, so you need to get one that refreshes the screen every few milli seconds.

LCD pictures are not as sharp
    LCD are harder to fx.
    LCD Not as subtlee.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
    Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Well unless you have sky sports news on all day with the news bar at the bottom of the screen I dont see any problems with the plasma.

Also with the power thing unless you have the TV on all day there isnt too much difference.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Killian

Killian Byte Poster

A friend of mine has a plasma and is always on Modern Warfare 2. He says he has a constant 'ghosting' of the radar forever on his screen.

I've always stuck with LCD just because of that fact. Do alot of gaming (sometimes in way too long sessions) and there tends to be alot of static icons on the screen.

Certifications: See sig.
    WIP: Everything!
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

me either, a one with good refresh rate is a better choice though then there is not anything to worry about.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. simonp83

simonp83 Kilobyte Poster

To me, an LED backlit LCD TV is unbeatable, especially from someone like Panasonic. The only thing i'd recommend though is going down to a shop that has both on display so you can see what they both look like. Also, try this forum as well - http://www.avforums.com/

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP
    WIP: 70-291
  8. bazzawood30

bazzawood30 Byte Poster

I have the plasma it rocks friends of ours have the LCD (not the led on mind) i dont think its anywhere near the quality of the plasma. I think the picture on the LCD is a little grainy. I have run pcs & ps3 on it and the pictures are very sharp and i have no problem with ghosting with the 600Mhz refresh rate. We have sky+ not HD this is the worst picture quality on the system just because its the only anolog signal i run to the tv, Saying that its still a great picture the quality only suffers on graphics like from channels flash screens. The built in freesat hd on mine is fantastic as is the built in freeview, I really did my homework before buying my panasonic and i am glad i did i can not fault it. I find it so much beter than likes of sony and better priced as well. The other good reason i went for the plasma was the viewing angles which are much greater, we have an LG LCD in the bedroom which has a narrow viewing angle if you are not straight on the pictures dark or not visible at all. The plasma does not suffer from this at all.

Certifications: ECDL,A+,N+,CCENT,CCNA,MCP,MCDST
  9. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I have a 42" LG LCD and have been very happy with it.

One other consideration should be how much SD quality stuff you will be watching. Plasma is usually better for SD content and there is still plenty of it about.

Personally, I am quite happy with the quality of SD footage on my LCD though. Sky+ looks fine as do DVD's which look great when upscaled to 1080. Blu-ray looks great on it as you would expect.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  10. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I echo what Modey said :)

Why don't you just jump right in and get a 3d TV :twisted:

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  11. Fergal1982

Tempting as it is, I dont think I want to be first on that bandwagon. Besides, my budget wont really go that high.

If I'm honest, im leaning towards the Plasma over the LCD I think. Its about 100 quid cheaper, and for watching films appears to be better. Theres the burn-in issue, but it shouldnt be too much of a problem these days.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  12. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

I have that Panasonic TV and its great! One thing to watch out for is the buzzing it can cause - Though I've found this to be the way its fitted to the wall - few adjustments and its fine.

Xbox 360 gaming is superb! Have XBMC hooked up via HDMI, watching films etc perfect. Freeview/Free sat are also perfect :)

http://www.avforums.com/review/Panasonic-TX-P42G20-Plasma-HDTV-Review.html

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
    Certifications: A+, Network+, 70-271 & 70-272, CCENT, VCP5-DCV and CCNA
    WIP: Citrix
  13. Fergal1982

In terms of the Blu-Ray, would you recommend getting a PS3, or a Panny dedicated player, and make use of Viera-Link?

14. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

As I recall the running costs are are higher on plasma than on LCD. But can't agrue with films looking better.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  15. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Didn't we have this conversation a while ago?

As Ken says, I think plasmas are more expensive to run - and I've also read that they only really come into their own for really big screens. If you're going for a bog standard living room telly apparently there isn't much in it.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  16. jay_s_uk

jay_s_uk Bit Poster

I have a 42" LG plasma screen which I've had for about 3 1/2 years. I have issues with the ghosting (from reading BBC teletext too much!).
    I also get the red dots now when I turn on the TV etc which means its now on the way out.
    I can't leave static images on too long without the fear of the ghosting.

My parents on the other hand have a 47" LG LCD and it looks amazing with MCE plugged into it.
    Virgin also looks good, as do the freesat they have going into it.

When my TV finally dies I'm definitely buying an LCD.
    The technology has improved leaps and bounds since I brought my plasma

Certifications: HNC Mechanical Engineer
    WIP: Computing Degree, 70-680
  17. Fergal1982

Yeah, But I keep wavering on the details.

18. reverb

reverb Byte Poster

I recently bought a LCD tv and a tad disappointed with viewing angles. I guess you get what you pay for! :biggrin
    In particular dark scenes, it's quite hard to see unless you crank up the brightness which makes it look unnatural. Kind of wished I got a plasma now or stump up the cash for an LED.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  19. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

50 inch plasma recently purchased with usb port for viewing pics movies and music etc... No regrets for not going LCD as it is excellent and if it burns out in 5 years I will have probably upgraded to 60+ inches by then.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, ITIL v3
    WIP: MCITP EA
  20. Fergal1982

Well, bit the bullet (after a wasted trip to Edinburgh). Bought ourselves:

Panasonic P42G20B Plasma TV
    Panasonic SC-BT735EB Home cinema system

Hopefully it should all arrive on Tuesday. woohoo!