Planning a career...

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by andy663, May 11, 2008.

1. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Of course I mentioned a degree as the main route, not the only route, I know many VB programmers that do not have degrees, are not especially good at maths and still have successful careers. I am unable to reccomend this as the main course of action, in general I think an engineering/science degree is a good investment if you are serious about it.

To take part on more hard core projects a computer science, physics, maths or engineering background will pay dividends.

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

This is very true. I attribute most of my early success in programming to the fact that I did a couple of years of electrical engineering degree courses. The combination of low-level programming allied to knowledge of electronics seemed to be unusual, and I got lots of work in that area!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. andy663

andy663 Bit Poster

Thanks for all of these responses, they have been really helpful!

4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I did a HND in Business computing at Uni which required me to do extra maths, because I never got any GCSEs above a D at school. Fortunatley I had a GNVQ in IT which helped.

Do not think about money as this is what I did and I was searching for jobs for years. Basically I was thinking that I should be on 22k and anything lower would devalue the studying I had done.

Not everyone who leaves uni gets a well paid job and unfortunately IT was well paid years ago (.com boom) but not anymore.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

IT is still well paid, the difference is there isn’t as many people getting away with talking BS as there used to be in the .com \ MCSE 2k days. There are some still around though.

I would guess that the peeps that are making a good wage in IT are not in it for the money, I know that sounds daft but the guys who consistently try and look for that better paid job or contract tend to channel all their energy into that rather than improving their technical skills. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I see your point, IT is an industry where there is a constant learning path and the more the IT guy/gal learns and improves then so will the money.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Exactly, the ones that put the time in to increase their tech stills and make a few intelligent career decisions can make good money. It is tough though but no-one said it was easy. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. Indo77

Indo77 Nibble Poster

This really depends on what your concept of web design is. A web developer is not the same thing as a web designer or a multimedia designer. I should know - I am a web developer. In our role we simply make sure that the website is fully functional, deal with back-end database content and write web-based software. A designer will make our front-end jazzy.

Certifications: BSc (Hons) HNC
  9. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

Yeap! mine required Science, Maths and English GCSE C or above, A level Maths and a Science.
    However, I did a BTEC in Electronics and Electrical Engineering which as you can imagine covers a lot of physics and maths , which got me in. I didn't want to go to uni at first but changed my mind at the end of my course. If i had known i was going i would have done A levels.

I went into software development as a career and hated it. I quit my first job.

Andi

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  10. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

I was at Reading when they were forth, there not even in the top ten by the looks of it.
    Brunel always used to be high, cant see that one either.

Univ Coll London - my tutor and lecturer from Reading lecturers comp sci there now

Imperial College - thats a good uni to look at, if i done another degree thats where i would like to go.

AC

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  11. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I don't know where they get their figures from, so like I said, do your own research ! :D