Plan, test, do some more testing....

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Sparky, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

...but it still goes wrong! :biggrin

Kicked off another network migration today. First step is to upgrade the Domain Controllers from Windows 2000 to Windows 2003 to support a new Exchange 2007 environment.

Anyways I run through the adprep as I have done 1000 times before but for some reason /domainprep fails as it can’t find the SYSVOL folder. The SYSVOL was in default location and had replicated to all of the other DCs so this error surprised me.

After a look through the log file I found a technote that explained that I had to create a reg key on the DC and add the path to SYSVOL. After this the /domainprep switch worked ok. Joy.

Moving on I decided to upgrade the backup DC at HQ first so I ran the in-place upgrade and the server rebooted as expected to complete the upgrade.

After it rebooted I was greeted with an error message saying that the C: drive was not accessible (arrrgh!) and then after that the upgrade continued anyway and then complained about not being able to read the disk. Yet more joy.

Rebooted the server and was greeted with a dual boot option to boot Windows 2000 or 2003. Chanced it and tried the Server 2003 upgrade which bombed out again as it could not read the CD, I tried another Server 2003 CD and surprise surprise no joy.

Rebooted again and selected Windows 2000 as the boot option just to get the server back online. The server blue screened. Joy.

Decided to try a repair install of Windows 2000 and it claimed an upgrade TO windows 2000 is already in progress and if I wanted to continue anyway. I continued as I was obviously not upgrading from Windows 2000 to Windows 2000, weird.

After a long wait the repair completed and the server came back up but had bumped the OS down to SP2 and IE5 so had to install SP4 and “upgrade” to IE6 which was nice.

Now back to where I had started I copied the Server 2003 media to the hard drive and ran the inplace upgrade with no problems whatsoever!

So there you go, you can plan, test and then do some more planning but no matter what you do something always goes wrong.

I can only blame myself though. I said to the customer “This shouldn’t take too long....” What was I thinking!? :biggrin

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
    Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

LOL! Sparky, how i miss your stories!
    ...Now why would you say that to the client for? Did you have a handover at the time?

3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Sparky, like you I've been through the same headaches when migrating our right fax server to a new version where the old version database was a proprietary rightfax db and the new version integraded into SQL... man was that a learning curve, but thats how we learn I guess... no book or theory can over give you as much knowledge as experience can!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  4. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

The next DC Im upgrading has all the FSMO roles on it, think I`ll move them to another DC first! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Ah the death knell of any IT job. 'it shouldn't take long' :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  6. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

I've stopped saying that now as everytime I do something always goes wrong PMSL

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  7. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Sounds like you were having fun with your DC upgrades mate. "This shouldn't take too long . . ." :lol: classic ha ha I don't think there's a worse way to tempt fate in all of the IT world ha ha

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs