Placement stuff

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by zxspectrum, Feb 6, 2008.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

I suppose this could be classed as when im applying for jobs as well in general.

Ive seen this placement come up from my uni. Basically i want my third year to be a placement year, but i have major doubts about doing it because i have to do dialysis every day. The dialysis is not the problem, i do however think that the companies attitude towards me may be slightly biased. I also know that there are guidelines and procedures in place to help people like me, but i also know that a lot of companies dont conform to this.

Another problem is half the stuff they are looking for i have not covered while at uni. also i see it as a training role as well. So how would go about it should i just pitch my cv in and hope that nobody else sees it lol, it would be a great opportunity for me and would get my foot in the door, i just dont know how to appraoch it.

Ed

This is the ad

Job Title: Technical Help Desk Support
    Salary: £13,000
    Start date: ASAP
    Contract: 12 month placement

Company Background

Visitors to any of Halewood International’s impressive and modern sites may find it difficult to image the company’s origins, for it was as recently as 1978 that the company was founded. Since that date, Halewood International has grown to become Britain’s most important independent wine and spirit company, with significant interests in key sectors of the worldwide drinks industry. We produce famous brands such as Lambrini, Red Square Reloaded, Red Square Vodka, Sidekick Shots and Caribbean Twist.

About the role

The role will revolve around being the first point of call for all business PC users when contacting the IT helpdesk with questions, problems and issues. You will be primarily desk based answering telephone calls and logging them in a custom built application. The role will include some manual handling of PC’s, printers, computer monitors and other IT related equipment. You will be required to work within established procedures to maintain and control the HIL IT infrastructure and networks. You will work closely with the Network and Technical Manager to ensure prioritisation of jobs and work and support the proactive management of external third party contracts.

The role requires sound understanding of IT applications. You will be expected to proactively manage your workload and communicate any serious issues or problems to the Network and Technical Manager. This role is demanding yet rewarding and enjoyable. Candidates should be enthusiastic, willing to learn, hard working and good communication skills.

Essential Skills

• Experience of Windows 2000 Pro, XP and Office 2000 Pro
    • Experience and working knowledge of LAN/WAN, Windows registry settings, Thin-client technology, VPN, DHCP, DNS, Broadband Technology, Software Installation, Antivirus application
    • Good asset management/tracking skills and incident management
    • Able to work under pressure to set deadlines
    • Excellent communication skills to customers, management and peers with a sound ability to provide and explain technical and none technical problems and solutions
    • Able to work as part of a team and individually
    • Good common sense and ability to work in a fast moving environment
    • To be punctual and reliable
    • Ideally suited to an IT student however we do welcome students from other areas with a strong IT knowledge and interest
    • Full driving licence

Desirable Skills

• Experience of Windows 2000 server, Apple OS X and Terminal services
    • Experience of Network storage knowledge, HP printer maintenance, Print server technology, Intranet/Internet development, and asset tracking/management.

Closing Date 3rd June 2008

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

OK - I may be out of date here - but I would not expect that sort of skill-set from a student. If you want that much in the way of skills then you pay for it! :biggrin

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

and for 13K. Looks like they are looking for a mule to be honest.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  4. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

For 13K, they're having a laugh. I know its Liverpool so very different from my area, but wow.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  5. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Have we not said in the past that sometimes these companies put down "essential" skills when it actual fact that is their dream-wishlist, for exactly the same reasons that everyone has mentioned above, but also because they don't want a whole of load of people applying just because you just need to be a "phone monkey"?

My job says you need to be an MCSE.... you're lucky if people are an MCP let alone anything more.

If you think the job is good and worthwhile placement in your degree - go for it (the cost is about what I've seen elsewhere - graduates from my uni were getting £15k for a 50 week placement, and my current job is offering the same - in Reading and London).

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  6. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Thanks for the input guys.

I was thinking of this placement for getting my foot in the door, as that will give me invaluable experience and could lead to employment after uni finally finishes.

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Sounds good mate 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. Toadeh

Toadeh Nibble Poster

I enjoyed my placement when I was in uni. I worked in Germany though for 13 months. Was good and helps you learn a lot (However, I still can't speak german). It also gives you a bit more focus on the final year when you do go back so its well worth it.

Certifications: BSc(Hons), MCTS Web Development