Pipex, Ripping us off?

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by SamuelClyde, Dec 21, 2005.

1. SamuelClyde

SamuelClyde Nibble Poster

Well, Anyone with Pipex Solo 2000, be intrested in this.

Currently im on Pipex Solo 2000 which costs 33.99 a month with all the bells and wistles.

But a little looking around the website, you can get Home Office (2meg) That has all the same specifications as Solo 2000 for only 29.32

Home Office also comes with a Static IP address free of charge!

So thats a Saving of 2.67 with the added bonus of a Static IP

Seems like the fancy colours cost 2.67 more :)

WIP: GCSE's / Network +
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Does the Home Office one include VAT?

3. SamuelClyde

Indeed it does :)

4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Weird hey but what a deal.

I really wish we had deals like that here, one day hopefully :rolleyes:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

What about contention, webspace and transfer capping?

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. SamuelClyde

Well, I know that the Contention is the same (50:1) and The webspace is most likly the same as well, Bandwidth is also unlimited.

7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

It is always best to look around to find the best deal for everyones individual needs.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Guys, can we avoid using terms like "rip off" and "con" here ? As mentioned before, we are not an ISP review site, and unless anyone wants to seek clarification directly from the ISP in question, then it is not for us to engage in idle speculation (using terms such as those above) when we are not in full possession of the facts. Thanks :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  9. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Whilst I agree with jak regarding the word 'con' rip off is generally acceptable and down to individual perspective

however bear in mind you signed up for the ISP, you had the option of evaluating the competition
    also they are not required to lower your costs during your contract period, even if they slash the price of the SAME product, because at the end of the day, your tied into a years contract, bulldog work that way, and its why they lost my business

zen have no contracts, they keep me because they are the best

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  10. SamuelClyde

I was on a contract with pipex 2 years ago, but it only lasted 12 months.

Ive looked around and compared their service with others, and seem to have just preffered them

I apologise if using the words "Rip off" sounded like i was implying that pipex was conning customers, i just found it weird that a somewhat superior package they offer is cheaper compaired to one of similar if not the same specification

11. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

There's a £50 setup fee with the Office package.

Neall

WIP: A+
  12. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

You'll probably find this is quite a common occurence, Samuel. At our place, our new hosting packages are way better than those maybe a year or so old (and older) and are much cheaper. Folks moan and whine about it, but that's the reality of marketing. You want the new goods, cancel the old one - if you're in a contract, then you knew that at the time, and accepted the tie-ins.

It's life, I'm afraid, in a consumer-driven culture.

13. SamuelClyde

I found out was it was anyway. I e-mailed them, and they said that If was with Pipex Talk (Their Telephone Service) I would get 2000 free minuites on Solo 2000

Where as Home Office doesnt get these 2000 free minuites. So was paying extra for something I never used anyway.

14. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Question answered then :)

15. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Hi Gav

Do the company ever e-mail your customers and say "Hi we have been working hard at driving down our costs and we have moved you onto our new cheaper service"?

16. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Hey Sandy,

We do occasionally send email notification of new or seasonal special offers, but would not automatically move customers' packages without telling them, as in many cases this would involve downtime due to platform migration, and often involves changes in settings that they would need to make.

I have always maintained a stance on CF of not discussing the details and exact nature of my employers, strictly for professional and ethical reasons, so you'll forgive me for not going into any further details. Thanks :)