Ping Runners

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Leehaa, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Woop woop...and another one bites the dust! :)

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  2. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Well, I've been really pants since this thread started - only managed to run once - but not recently, managed a good 15 min run each night this week. Actually just got back from one now - really impressed with how quickly my fitness has improved! :D

How is everyone else getting on?

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

:sleeping

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Well done! :) You got any plans for extending it? Like a little more each night?

Not done much running...off to hhhmmmmmeditate in a bit though (yoga) which is good all-round conditioning ready for whenever the regular running begins!

Stick at it!

5. jiggy

jiggy Nibble Poster

Ive had a cold for the last couple of weeks so havent actually done any exercise however Im feeling pretty good today so think I will go out and stretch the legs for a bit. Weather seems like it will co operate so no excuses for keeping the couch company all day today :D

Come on people....get those legs moving!!!

J.

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: ABC's
  6. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Planning to extend it, I didn't want to push it to far too fast. But would like to get it up to 30/40 minutes eventually, and do it most nights of the week.

My girlfriend suggested doing yoga - never done it before but I think we'll go to a begineers lesson one day though.

7. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

There are three male yogis' (well a yogi is traditionally male anyway...but these days I think it's used a bit more lightly - to define anyone who practices yoga) at my class and they are excellent at it - really fit (as in strength and flexibility). If you want to give your body an overall workout - get great overall results, then you should certainly try it!!

8. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

hmmmm, I may just do it now - sounds good 8)

9. jiggy

jiggy Nibble Poster

just did an 8 1/2k-er on a brisk London morning. Hows everyone else going?

Jiggy

10. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

:thumbleft Good going! Still not been :oops: going to try and go tonight...failing that at least do some circuit stuff!

11. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Managed a good 2-mile run last night - lasted about 20 mins or so, and definitely improvement in distance :)

Was nackered at the end of it though! :D

12. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

At least you gave it a try mate:thumbleft Now the clocks have gone back, the days are getting shorter. I hate the winter months, because who wants to run outside at night time (especially when it's pouring down!)

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  13. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

I haven't done running for almost 2 years, since I had a bad Knee injury! :cry:

I used to run with a local running club and every month they would do Time trials, which meant you had to run 4 miles in under an hour. Each time they would record your time and each time trial you were expected to finish it within the last time recorded.

It was good fun! They say the hardest part is running and talking without getting out of breath. If you can do this then, your superfit!:biggrin

I'm curious to know what running shoes, equipment everyone uses? Do you run on a treadmill in the winter months? Do you run cross county or tarmac (ouch :eek:my knees are hurting just thinking about running on a Road):blink

Since doing swim mathlons in the sea I buy from WIGGLE

I find their website is easy to navigate around and has everything for Running, cycling and swimming and Triathlons!8)

14. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

How long have you been doing yoga?

15. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

This recent class? Just a few weeks. Used to be a gymnast though so picking it up quite well...intend to keep this a regular thing to aid the running!

16. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Wow you were a gymnast? I'm impressed:rocks

17. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Whoops -no - not in any competitive way :oops: - just the old BAGA stuff that a lot of little kids did over my way along with the usual ballet and tap classes!

18. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  19. jiggy

jiggy Nibble Poster

another 8 1/2ks done on a brillant clear and sunny morning. 0 degrees was a bit chilly but once I got moving it was fine.

I hear what you are saying about the knees cheekymonkey...I cant really manage more then 10k's without mine starting to become painful as I hurt it in a half marathon a few years back and its just never come right.

My favourite running shoes are asics (ascii I call them) although I also have a pair of New Balance which I alternate between as apparently its better for the legs / shins if you have slightly different pairs of shoes to run in.

skulkerboyo I looked at the website for that race :eek: Good luck is all I can say!!!

J

20. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

I prefer the slightly more strenuous runs these days. If I'm going to injure myself I'm gonna do it properly or not at all:twisted:

Anyone else use gps for data when they run? It improved my training loads as well as giving me a nice permanent record of my more memorable hikes and runs

I use motionbased.com as well as sportstracks by zone 5. Great software if you use gps. You can even view your run in google earth

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417