Ping other ISP data support people

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by The_Geek, Oct 28, 2006.

1. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

Anyone else here work for any large ISP's? If so, does your company charge for router changes that a customer requests?

For example, if I'm your customer, and I have a data T at my business, and your router is doing NAT/DHCP for my network, and I call in to have port 80 opened to an internal address for a web server, does your company charge me for that router change?

(I'll tell you why I'm asking after I get some input)

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

It depends on the ISPs pricing model over here

most of the managed service based ones include that sort of thing in the price, others dont
    BT for instance will charge you for a router change on some of their service levels, and take a bloody age to do it, others will do it the same day and it will be included in your monthly service charge

Bulk changes are often chargable across the board though (ie, oh mr isp i changed my internal ip range can you re write my router config from scratch, cheers)

hope that helps :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

Well, the reason I ask is......

With no warning, we were all presented with new "non-recuring charges" price lists today for our customers.

So now, when one of our customers call in and want to open a port.....$50! And if they call in tomorrow and want to open another port.....another $50!

And if they want a static block for thier device and set our router to bridged....$150!

I guess I'll get my resume ready.....at this rate we'll run off all our customers and we'll all be out of a job!

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+