Ping NoelG

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Baba O'Riley, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Hi Noel,

I was just reading a thread where you mentioned software companies having to rewrite their code to run natively on the Intel Macs.

I was wondering, for no particular reason as I don't own or intend to own a Mac, about the application that runs Power PC software on the Intel boxes (Rosetta?).

Is there as massive a performance hit when running in this emulated mode as some magazines I've read claim, and have Apple set a deadline to end support of Rosetta and when all software must be running natively?

It occurs to me that this is not the time to buy a Mac given these issues. I would be interested in your (or anyone else's) opininon.

Also, a bit of clarification on Bootcamp please, does it use virtualisation or emulation to run Windows at any stage or is performance on an Intel Mac the same as performance on an identically specced PC?

Cheers.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  2. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Ok Baba...take a seat this could take a while....

Right with Rosetta yes it allows Power PC apps to run on Intel based Macs but dont let this fool you. I have had customers call up who are trying to run some OS 9 apps on these machines and I can tell you it wont run. This is a quote from this months PC Advisor magazine (of which I am a subscriber):

"However, programs that haven't been optimised for Intel run in Rosetta, a technology that allows Intel-based Macs to run applications designed for Apple's PowerPC processors. In our tests, PowerPC-built apps ran slowly in Rosetta."

Now if that doesnt answer that question about Rosetta, I dont know what will. But yeah its great Rosetta is on these Intel Macs but people will struggle. Like I said Apple have brought these out too early.

As for Bootcamp...why oh why have Apple released this I do not know?!?! If they know fine well they aint going to support it why put it on your website? Bootcamp is kinda like an emulation of which allows Intel based Macs to run Windows XP (not Vista) to run alongside Mac OS X so therefore u can dual boot them. As for performance and I cant say to be honest but if you ask me...I would rather run Windows on a PC than on a Mac cos quite frankly Windows belongs on a PC and thats that! Performance wise...well I wouldnt go jumping up and down just yet...am just waiting for a customer to ring us and tell us how they feel about it...and what the performance was on the system...but my one ultimate question is (and I know this will be answered soon at work!!) Have Apple tested Windows XP to the full extent and confirm the performance of the machine? Answers on a postcard please....so let me know what u think Baba...hope that helps so far...:biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  3. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Thanks for that Noel.

My own opinion of putting Windows on a Mac is this: if I had a real need to run both OS's, I would rather only pay for one computer and I wouldn't complain if that computer looked as good as a Mac. I also would not be against putting OS X on my Windows box. I don't think anyone could have any grounds for complaint there given how many people run Linux etc.

Cheers.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  4. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

well u mention running OS X on a Windows machine...well some complete idiot at work has done just that! Why? I have no idea...the worse part? Its a flamin Dell laptop!! Yikes he needs serious help even his best mate cant believe he's done it...we grill him about it all the time...but hey its worked so thats one thing...but u wont catch me doing it...but each to their own...glad I could be of service Sir!! :biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life