Ping GBL... how is the Net+ study going?

Discussion in 'Network+' started by GiddyG, Jun 11, 2008.

1. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

... and have you booked the exam yet?

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I havent booked yet or had a lot of study time.

I am doing my normal job during the day then after 6 I am doing support and at the moment doing network performance monitoring. I am doing that until about 1am every day so I am not getting much of a chance.

We had some new cables installed and the IT manager was concerned some were faulty so I am testing those on some crazy machine which drives me nuts because if it finds a fault it beeps like mad and it doesn't do my tinitus any good.

I've only got 400 more CAT6 cables to test :blink

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. GiddyG

Ouch! Sorry to hear that mate... long days then.
    You're enjoying it though... yes?

4. greenbrucelee

I am enjoying it, but the only thing is I have this strange feeling that they are getting me to do all the jobs that they have fallen behind on and once they are done (at the end of the month) they are going say I am no longer needed.

Thats just from a few comments I have overheard & whats been said in front of me.

Then again I can get back to the books then.

5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

You get some commercial experiance for the CV though. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. greenbrucelee

Yeah, but its only really gonna add upto about 200 hours or so.

All I have really done is: remapp drives, reset queues, help build a server unit, test network cables and monitor network performace.

And I had to get dell to send a replacement mobo for a PC.

7. Sparky

It all helps though, perhaps after the Network+ they might give you some extra work?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  8. greenbrucelee

Maybe, I still think all I'm doing it for is they can't be arsed with the small jobs and once I have them back on track they'll see me off.

9. Sparky

Well if it works out that way perhaps is best to move on and get a full time IT job? 8)

10. greenbrucelee

I'll wait and see what happens, I'll find out I think at the end of the month as that is when I'll have all these jobs done.

11. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

You are getting some good experience. It may not be the stuff you had in mind, but its all about starting at the bottom and working up. Don't worry about them getting you to do all the crap jobs, maybe the IT manager wants to see how you handle yourself around the equipment before they let you loose and give you an admin account. The stuff your doing needs to be done, I spent 2 hours the other morning looking through event logs on about 30 servers looking for ones affected by a RSOP error (event ID 1090 and 1091).... dull..... I now have to figure out what the hell is causing it, which is a bit more exciting :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  12. greenbrucelee

They gave me an admin account but its resinded at the end of the month, thats another reason why I think they are gonna make up some excuse to send me back to my original job.

13. NightWalker

I hope they keep you on with some work in IT, but like you said earlier your study time has suffered due to the extra duties.

14. greenbrucelee

Its kinda difficult because I am getting experience but 15 hour days 6 days a week is a bit tiring and it doesn't leave me any time to do anything else.

If they offered me a perm position then I'd take it but thats very unlikely.

15. Sparky

Looking on the positive side you are getting commercial experience though. Also I found studying on a Sunday night helped me get the MCSE a little bit quicker, I would grab a few hours during the week as well but studying on a Friday night and Saturday was not gonna happen (need time for beer!).

If you can read the N+ book for at least a couple of hours a week it should keep things ticking over until you can spend some more time on it. 8)

16. NightWalker

Thats a lot of hours, you can't do that forever. Play it by ear, see what happens, either way you have been a winner and got some good experience. You never know what may happen... a few weeks ago you had an IT manager that didn't like you and no hope 'I lost the backup tapes' dude working in IT. Who knows what good things might happen to you before the month is out :)

17. greenbrucelee

I can but hope.

18. GiddyG

I agree with the other guys GBL... whatever happens mate, you've been getting the experience, and that can only ever be a good thing.

Must admit, sounds like the hours are way excessive though...

Power to you...

19. greenbrucelee

I know the experience is good, its what happens when the experience ends which I am more certain now than ever it will.

The other thing is I am getting payrises all the time too, it soon maybe unnafordable to drop a lot to get a proper full time IT job.

20. Sparky

Yup, that is something to consider.

Another way to look at it is do you think your current job will max out in terms of your wage? If you move into IT you may be able to get a higher salary in the long run.