ping command and packet loss

Discussion in 'Networks' started by twizzle, Oct 18, 2006.

1. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Ok fellas i need some help.

I want to record the packet loss (number of packets lost that is) over a length of cat5 cable. I know if i ping -t i can see constant packets and when it drops one, but this keeps refreshing when it hits the screen limit. I want to beable to record this info continously overnight and read it in the morning. At the moment im unable to load new software onto the unit asits on its own network and i dont have a spare usb memstick to use on it. (the unit has no cd drive or floppy.)

So any suggestions? can i ping -t and send results to a .txt file or similiar? or can i use another command to do same?

I've got 2 units connected by cat 5e cable over 70m one runs w2k the other use red hat linux. Neither have cd-roms or floppys. the w2k unit has a usb port spare.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

tracert ? perhaps?

3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  4. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Thanks Zimbo!

How could i forget about Network monitor or performance monitor!! Thats running now, only im not sure its looking at what i want to know.

Its showing packets outbound errors as being approx 50k and packets recieved unknown as 35k....

As far as i can tell when i ping the unit there is no packet loss and the lights we use to indicated a data transmission on the unit is showing constant (which is right for a working unit).....

Dont think i got it setup right (perfmon that is!) and out IT dept dunno how to set it up either!

5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

To do what you actualy asked for:
    Code:
    ping -t somehost.com > pingtest.txt
    then do a control-c and type the file when you want to stop it.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Yeps - pipe it to a text file - Harry, you beat me to it!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  7. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Harry that was great!!

It did the trick, i can now see when packets have been lost over a period of more than an Hour.

I've also got our dev dept to modify thier software to give an indication on the unit itself when a data packet is lost. Seems pings can get thru but some of the data dosent due to the size of the packets.... But both methods have helped spot this!!!..

Strike another one up to the HBroomhall NET+ wonder genius.