Piggin' push fit connectors...

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Josiahb, May 31, 2013.

1. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

When I was in school I always wondered what my teachers did in the holidays, having been living with a primary school teacher for 3 years now I know the answer:

Work

and stick buckets under every light fitting, extractor fan and random bit of ceiling water comes pouring through at 10 o'clock on a half term Thursday evening. Last night saw our flat get a lot soggier than originally designed as a crap push fit pipe connector on one of our upstairs neighbours water pipes gave way and flooded both theirs and our flat over the course of about an hour until the fire brigade managed to force entry to the locked utility cupboard where our stopcocks are located and then by process of elimination turn off the right supply.

If you have any plumbing work done anywhere and you see the plumber carrying these around tell him to get the hell off your property.

Every carpet wrecked and no electrics as every single light fitting is still wet and upstairs are even worse off than us as they are moving next week so had dismantled the bed and were sleeping on the mattress on the floor.

(There is for the record very little point to this whole thread but it is making me feel better)

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  2. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Arggh man that sounds horrible! :( Have things all dried out yet? :confused3 I remember back at my old house we had a massive leak coming through the light in our dining room, unbelievable how quickly it can ruin carpets, furniture etc... Just a case of letting things dry out and then redecorating the entire room!

Hope things start to look up mate!

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  3. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

I know your pain. Many years ago i did our bathroom. One of teh last jobs was fitting a new radiator then the lino. Checkd teh pipes next to wall rad was going on, all ok, so fitted rad to said wall and pipes. Then put lino down. Every job was done, so turned on water. 20 mins later we had a water fall in teh kitchen! Had to run outside to turn water off at meter. Ran upstairs and ripped lino up in bathroom. After pulling up a dozen floorboards, i found a push fit fitting inteh middle of teh floor that lead to teh radiator that i'd never noticed before. When i'd fitted the rad i must have pulled teh brass pipes a bit tighter and this push fit plastic fitting the pipe was in had been pushed against a floor joist and come undone. Water had been pissing out as soon as it was turned on! We needed a new ceiling in teh kitchen, new lino in bathroom (i'd literally ripped it up!) and couple extra lengths of pipe so it wouldnt happen again!

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  4. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Things are starting to dry out yes, talking to our neighbours I've discovered we aren't the only ones to have suffered this recently. The guys across the road had a waste pipe come adrift on their en-suite toilet and piss water all over the place because it hadn't actually been fixed to anything.

Our landlord is proving to be no use at all however, they do appear to have arrived back from their holiday in Tenerife but rather than phoning us to see how things are or contacting insurers they've phoned their building maintenance guy and asked him to show up at 9 this morning. We're both at work so they've paid a guy to stand outside our flat for the next few hours until my other half arrives home to let the dehumidifier people (who we have organised) in. I have a sneaking suspicion their plan will be to paint over the damp marks and hope...

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10