1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pigeon Holed....?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Angry Dog, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Angry Dog

Angry Dog Nibble Poster

Hi,

I've worked with computers (I wont call it in IT, as I dont think it is!) for over 12 years. I started out at a computer shop, building and repairing PC's, installing Windows etc. I then went on to doing Tech Support for a Delphi based DBA, which I did for 3 and a half years, before moving onto a Superbase DBA, which I have now supported for 7 and a half years.

I feel because of this that I am pigeon holed. the products I have supported are pretty singular and related only to certain fields (alarm installers being one of them).

I am concerned then that because I have little in the way of true MS experience, that even with an MCDST / A+ / N+ / Further quals, I am going to find it difficult to find a job away from what I currently do, and even so, will likely be a much lesser paid job than the one I do now.

Are my fears real, or should I not worry?

Certifications: IT NVQ level 2/3
    WIP: MCDST, A+, N+
  2. BosonMichael
    Highly Decorated Member Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You say you're a DBA... Database administration is squarely in the realm of IT, in my opinion. Do you enjoy being a DBA? Would you want a different database admin job? If not, why are you looking to get out of that side?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Angry Dog

Angry Dog Nibble Poster

I look after / fix an old 16bit database that has limited use.
    I have no experience with SQL. I do and I dont enjoy it. It can be satisfying at times, but the company I work for have taken most of my motivation away.

I guess I'd still do database administration, but I guess I'd like to learn more Server Admin.

I'd like to earn some more money too - I feel underpaid at my age....

4. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

Perhaps. Just expand out your skill set by learning new stuff as you are. MS/Linux stuff.

Ill be pigeon holed at this rate in shtty schools.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  5. Angry Dog

Angry Dog Nibble Poster

I had a look at Linux (Ubuntu), but needed so mucn help to get it working it seemed a bit silly. Then I also somehow managed to stop it working with Wireless lol.

6. BosonMichael

So do you do any server administration? If even a little, you might be able to get into a server admin position elsewhere. If not, you'll likely find it difficult to get hired into a server administration position, competing against those who DO have that experience, regardless of the number of certifications you achieve. That would likely mean getting a desktop support job, preferably one where they'll start letting you start helping with light server administration.

Will that mean a cut in pay? No idea, but I suspect so. Still, sometimes you have to take one step back to take three steps forward. Only you can decide which is more important: more money or more job satisfaction.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  7. Angry Dog

Angry Dog Nibble Poster

I dont have any Server Admin experience sadly. I wish I could take a pay cut, but currently given the financial situations, it'd be impossible - rent to pay etc etc :(.

I know what you mean about having cert's and no experience - its what alot of people dont realise when they do this "guaranteed job afterwards" training I guess.

8. BosonMichael

I hear ya, man. Unfortunately, that's the reason most people never make the switch from other career fields into IT. :(

Yep, exactly. They believe the advertisements of a job making big bucks right out of school, and though that might happen in extremely rare cases, it's certainly not the norm.

9. Angry Dog

Angry Dog Nibble Poster

It wouldnt be so bad if the gf was working, but as she cant find a job at the moment, its proving hard going...

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I have a concern that I am also a bit too old these days, or that I've missed the boat.

I'm 28, and surely most people my age in IT are already Admin's etc?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009