Piece of string anyone?

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by Luddym, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

With passing my 70-291 last week, I've found a new determination to chug through my MCSE.

With the TS 70-620 (couple more weeks of on off study should do it), the 70-293, 70-294 and 70-297 left to go, I'm starting to see the finish line within another 12 months hopefully.

My question is this, and I know it's the sort of question that doesn't really have a proper answer, but....I'm wondering if it is plausable with around 15 hours study a week, to have this completed by december.

How long did it take you to pass from studying after the 70-291, and did you find it easier/more difficult than the 70-291.

Thanks in advance guys.

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I have found the MCPs after the 70-291 to be slightly easier, dunno if that is just me (other peeps may find the 70-294 etc harder) but that’s what I thought. Both the 70-293 and 70-294 were very beneficial in regard to some of the projects I am doing in work just now.

Almost finished my studies for the 70-297, this exam looks to be slightly different from the other MCPs as it has case studies and then approximately 10 questions for each case study.

In answer to your question I reckon you could get the MCSE nailed in the next 12 months or so. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

How long did it take me? About a day and a half... for both 293 and 294 (in the form of the 296 upgrade exam). So... this is very much a "piece of string question". Study until you understand the concepts completely... no more, no less.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Sorry for hijacking this thread - Michael, have you always had the same attitude to work/learning?? You advise people on here all the time of "understanding concepts is best" (I'm one of the converts so I'm not attacking here!), I just wondered how far back it went?

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  5. BosonMichael

Yes - why wouldn't I have always had the same attitude? What good is passing the test without understanding?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  6. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

It's just that some people have a change of heart.... me for example, I passed my degree but I was concentrating on passing rather than understanding - it wasn't until I started getting into my IT career that I actually cared about what I was learning and built that attitude myself.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  7. BosonMichael

My degree was in Chemistry, but I had always had a love for computers - ever since I was 10. But regardless of whether I was learning chemistry or computers, I always had a desire to understand what I was learning... not just regurgitate info. It's much easier to have a desire to understand what you're doing when you enjoy it... that's why people who get into IT solely for the money don't usually do as well as those who truly LOVE IT. Those who love IT usually *want* to study it to the point of understanding it.

People who usually concentrate on passing exams as quickly as possible rather than getting an understanding of the concepts are typically the guys who want to "look impressive". You'll notice who they are throughout your IT career... they'll be certified, but usually won't know what the heck they're doing. :)

Seeing how a lack of understanding can hurt your career can certainly give you an appreciation for it... and cause you to have that sort of "change of heart". All it took was seeing it in action to get you to realize, "Wow, THIS is what it's really all about!". Glad to see you "converted". :)

Your sig is very relevant to this discussion:

8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Probs not a great study technique, mate :rolleyes:

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  9. nicolinux

nicolinux Byte Poster

I am studying for the 70-293 and i find it harder than the 291.

Certifications: mcse win2k3, mcts x4. mcitp enterprise admin
    WIP: 70-680