PHP Site

Discussion in 'Web Development & Web Hosting' started by Fergal1982, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Guys,

I need to get up to speed with PHP sharpish. Can anyone suggest some good sites for learning it (Starting from scratch, I've never even looked at PHP before).

Cheers
    Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

If you are good at C and Perl then PHP will be a breeze - being a mixture of the two with HTML thrown in.

The main PHP site has good documentation and tutorials.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Fergal1982

nope, never touched C. Seen some examples of C#.Net whilst looking up vb.net stuff, but thats the closest ive come.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

What about Perl?

If you haven't done that either you are in for a fairly steep learning curve.

Also - watch the PHP versions. If you are dealing with old PHP code (say 3.x ish) on a modern platform there can be some nasty surprises.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. Fergal1982

nope. not even Perl. its possible we could switch over to asp or asp.net, which im more familiar with, but we're going to start with using PHP, since the original is in that format.

6. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Hi Fergal try Good Tutorials for starters they got some nice working examples that you could mess with and then theres old faithful
    W3 Schools

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)