PHP/MySQL training - any recommendations?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by harpistic, Mar 5, 2008.

1. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone could recommend anywhere, preferably in or around London (or come to think of it, Bermuda, Hawaii, Scottish Highlands... :dry) that's good for teaching PHP and MySQL? Either a comprehensive course or intermediate/advanced.

Work is meant to be sending me on training courses, however the courses I've proposed have been rejected (for being too long and expensive); while I'd probably learn far more out of a few books, I'm getting grumpy at seeing the junior members of the team going on multiple training courses while I'm not being allowed to have the training I need to be able to do what's expected of me at work. :x

I've been looking around at courses online, just saw a great one held in Arizona and/or Florida 8) but I wondered if anybody here's gone on courses they'd recommend, for me to put forward at work.

(Maybe I'll just get the books myself so there's no feeling of them getting off cheaply! :tune)

Certifications: Pet Geekery
    WIP: cure for insomnia
  2. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster

PS - What hurts even more is that my boss circulated the latest list of our normal training supplier's courses, asking if there was anything we wanted to do - A+, N+, MCSE, MCTS and half of a MCITP course were on there :bigcry :bigcry

3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Well - my PHP and MySQL were self taught. The company offered to pay for the books, but not much else.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster

I've earmarked a large pile of books on Amazon which roughly come to their training budget for me... I'm guessing the budget is around £400, which just about covers 'introduction to...' :cry:

5. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

There are plenty of intermediate to advanced tutorials on the internet.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  6. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster

Yeah, I use quite a few of them; as I said, I want the company I work for to stop sending everyone else but me on a course - settling for books as it is means them getting off way too lightly! :tune

7. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Well put a strong case forward for them to send you on courses. 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  8. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I'm having to use my holiday for study leave and had to beg for them to let me off for the day to do the exam. It really p@ssed me off as it's the last MCSA exam I have to do and it would really help me in my job so the company get something out of it as well.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  9. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster

I'm trying, believe me... :x - problem is their budget seems to be about £150 a course, and the courses I've seen are around £1500 each... :rolleyes:

Slypie - that's really crap that they tried to stop you from taking the exam - !!!

10. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I'll admit they did offer to pay for the exam but I'd already bought the exam. I just thought it was tight fisted not to give me a few days off for study but one day is better than none.

As for £150 per course lol I've never seen any courses for £150 I think they forgot to add another 0 to the end :blink unless your getting a YTS trainer

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  11. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster

They are here :blink - not exactly serious training courses, sigh (or at least the ones my colleagues are going on aren't).

12. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster

Ah - seems the budget just applies to my team. Director's PA has just been on a course costing £820 on How To Use Microsoft Project :twisted:

13. richardw

richardw Nibble Poster

Certifications: MOS (Master), MMI
    WIP: MCAS, AAT
  14. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster

Late availability price is still £725 :eek: - and when you consider they sent five people on the course...

In my last job, they just told me to get it installed, play with it then teach everyone how to use it :dry