PHP Meaning

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Fergal1982, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Does anyone else see anything wrong with that statement? (and its not just w3c that states the acronym). Correct me if im wrong, but I was under the impression you cant use the term when defining the terms meaning? Surely this applies to acronyms too?

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Er - no. This is one of a long line of self-referential acronyms, including:
    GNU - GNU is Not Unix
    PINE - PINE is Not Elm

In fact doing this is somewhat 'normal' in the computing world. :biggrin

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

PHP, as it is now known and used, is the second incarnation of PHP. The original PHP was acronymed as PHP/FI, and was called Personal Home Page. I just think the PHP acronym was kept, but what it was supposed to stand for was changed so it would appear more "professional".

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Also look at this wikipedia page, which also notes that the PHP acronym wasn't originaly intended as a recursive one.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Let's face it. These acronyms were coined in the 1970s when all the programmers and engineers coining the phrases were higher than kites. :biggrin

Certifications: A+ and Network+