1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photoshop goes online, free

Discussion in 'News' started by tripwire45, Mar 28, 2008.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Photoshop goes online, free

Adobe today announced an online, free, version of its popular Photoshop application. The Flash-based Photoshop Express application is a stripped down version of Photoshop allowing users to manipulate and store their images online. And because Photoshop Express is Flash-based the application will run across most operating systems including Linux, Mac and Windows. Many of the advanced features of Photoshop, such as layers and adding text, are not included in PE which is geared at everyday users that simply want to make their photos look better. PE makes it easy to crop and rotate pictures, add highlights, correct exposures and adjust hues among others manipulations. Registering for an account on the Photoshop Express site gives users access to up to 2GB of free storage space in a style similar to Flickr. The storage space syncs with Facebook, MySpace and Picasa meaning users can pull pictures from those albums and edite them directly. Flickr syncing is apparently due within a few weeks.

The article source is Tectonic but you'll have to go to Adobe to register for Photoshop Express.
    Certifications: A+ and Network+

1. Mitzs
      Thanks Trip, I'll have to pass this on to the family and friends. I have some photo freaks in the family. :biggrin
    2. samsdad
      Thanks for the info Trip....looks good.
    3. neutralhills
      It's, um, cute. Not sure what it's good for, but it does look awfully pretty. :blink
    4. BosonJosh
      What he said.
    5. Mitzs
      Its better then nothing for those that have nothing. :)
    6. neutralhills
      Picasa is free. Useful, too. If not that, try GIMP, PhotoGIMP, or Paint.NET.

Besides, it ain't Photoshop if it ain't got LAB mode and gamut warnings.

So there.
    7. Mitzs
      My mother who is in her 60's and my sister inlaws grand ma who is even older then my mom does not need lab mode and gimp is to big of a software for either of them. My mom couldn't even fig out how to turn her tom tom up, bless her heart.
    8. neutralhills
      How does your mom feel about giving all rights to her images to Adobe, for whatever usage they deem fit, in perpetuity? Seriously. If you read the Terms it's a total rights grab. Adobe should know better.
    9. Mitzs

Your a pain in my photo sometimes Q. But thanks because I've not even read up on it yet I just saved it to fav. Reps for the warning.
    10. neutralhills
      Sorry. It's a photographer thing. Every time I turn around someone is trying slither around my copyrights somehow. I've already had to send a lawyer after people who used several of my images without asking first (there's nothing like going to a folk music festival and finding one of your photos being used without permission on the cover of a CD in the sale bin).
    11. BosonMichael
      Things that seem free are usually not really free.
    12. Mitzs

Yes Mike I know this, and as I said I had not read up on it yet. While I have photoshop now and can do these things for her after I learn the software it would have been nice for her to be able to do these things at home for herself. Oh well, no big deal I guess.
    13. BosonMichael
      You know it... but some people do not. :)