Permanently deleting data

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Miro, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Miro

Miro Byte Poster

My friend has asked me to permanently delete data on his laptop hard drive. He is selling the laptop.By permanently I mean that nobody can recover the data. I am using for this Darik's Boot and Nuke (DBAN) .However this is very slow process but accordingly to instruction very secure.
    How do you deal with deleting data from hard drive permanently?

Certifications: A+ IT Technician
    WIP: MCDST, Network+
  2. Sco0t

Sco0t Byte Poster

Yeah, hard one to completely remove, I would replace the hard drive to be safe :)
    Then smash it up then you know its gone. Even laptop harddrives are cheap now.

Certifications: Bsc Net/Sys Support, HND Tech Support
    WIP: Network+
  3. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Unless you are talking about individual bits of data, a single one-pass wipe makes it almost impossible for anyone except law enforcement (with access to humungously powerful and complex machinery) to retrieve anything even remotely useful from a drive. Take that as fact - from someone who has actually worked for a UK law enforcement agency for two years as a security admin. Anybody who tells you anything otherwise is talking scaremongering bull****.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Nothing exotic required... I simply run the disk through cipher /w.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  6. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I repeat - wipe it once with killdisk and you will never need to worry. '7 pass DOD method' and '35 pass Guttman' are all absolute bollocks - just because you can retrieve an individual bit from a drive doesn't mean that will provide any useful information.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  7. Miro

Miro Byte Poster

Thank you for you help. I will give a try to the killdisk.I have just downloaded it.
    I have learned as well what is cipher /w command. I did not know about this.
    :D

Certifications: A+ IT Technician
    WIP: MCDST, Network+
  8. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

You learn something new every day :) That's the beauty of IT. :p

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA