Perm or Contract

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by shadowwebs, Nov 8, 2012.

1. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

I am in a tricky situation, I am currently permanent at a local authority where I am earning £17,800 for the last 2 and a half years doing the same job as 1st line helpdesk technician, I applied for a job with a local college as a 2nd line IT Tech, it's paying more money. I went for the interview, took the tests and have been offered the job but it turns out it's only a 12 month contract.

So now I am stuck between a rock and a hard place... do I keep my permanent job I have now but with no career progression, or do I move up the ranks by going to the college job but is only a contract position paying £21,500

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  2. andylad9

andylad9 Byte Poster

That is a tricky one. Personally I'd take the new job. I get the impression that aren't many advancements where you currently are, the money is better and you could turn it into something more permanent. Anyhow it may even make you look better/skilled/experienced in your next move as a 2nd tech. But as I said...that's me personally.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | 70-680 | 70-685 | MTA Server
    WIP: deciding now...
  3. shadowwebs

That is where my feeling is going towards it also... I think I will wait for the paperwork to come through to check conditions and see if I can negotiate to become permanent and see where I go from there, but is a hard decision to make.

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  4. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

I agree with your feelings, it sounds like your current place is a dead end so even on a 12 month contract you'd hope there is room for progression if/when you impress them! I guess it also comes down to your current situation, what bills you have to pay and if you would be in trouble if in 12 months the job was to end. Obviously you'd probably know how likely another contract would be 2-3 months before the end and if need be could look elsewhere again.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  5. shadowwebs

My plan would be that with the extra money I could study heavily in my spare time to get through a few certs, and with learning to drive at the moment then I will be driving in around 3 months time, so at least then I have more scope for other jobs.

It's a hard one to call, but I think I will take it.

Even my girlfriend that would normally take the less risky approach has told me I should accept it.

6. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

If i was in your position and the job sounded good and wasnt going to cost me much more in travel then i would definetly be taking it. Considering its an extra £308 a month for you before tax that definetly sounds worthwhile taking.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101
  7. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

Now it depends. Is it 12 months subject to funding, and then it's an ongoing thing, which would be fine, or is it 12 months because someone is on maternity leave?

8. shadowwebs

12 months due to funding, not for covering someone on sick/maternity etc.

They had 1 full time permanent job and 1 job that was 12 months contract, someone else would have got the permanent and i was offered the 12 month

9. exonje

exonje Byte Poster

No brainer for me mate, take the 2nd line job

10. jvanassen

Snap if the job sounded good then i would definetly say its a no brainer.

11. shadowwebs

I was hoping to have received the paperwork by now, but still waiting... patience is hard when I don't know which way I am going to go yet

12. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hiya,
    Personally, id take the job mate. New challenges, money and cv building.
    Good luck whatever you decide.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  13. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

Take the 2nd Job, not for the money, forget the dough for the moment, you need to build your arsenal of skills and experience, i can never remember being in the same job for more than two years, hit two years and it's "EJECT, EJECT, EJECT!!!"

My rule is once you get comfortable you get lazy, you get lazy the world overtakes you.

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
    csx likes this.
  14. jvanassen

Very valid point, will remember that

15. shadowwebs

very good point, thanks for that... I am just waiting on the paperwork arriving and then I will make the big decision, but I am probably going to be handing in my notice at my current workplace very soon :)

16. shadowwebs

right... the contract has arrived, i am going to request job description though as that wasn't included.

£20,800 with a rise after 6 months, 12 month fixed term contract (no mention of extension)... 26 days holiday, plus bank holidays

What are your thoughts?

17. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

First thing I can see is that it is a fixed-term contract, so you will be an employee of the company and not have to worry about setting up your own co. or employment through an Umbrella co. So it'll be straight-forward PAYE which will be no hassle at least...

Secondly, as you will be an employee they have to offer you the full compliment of hols as per their normal T's & C's BUT you need to know if they are paid holidays as usually they are not when employed as a temp (although, again generally, the Bank Hols are paid).

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
    Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  18. shadowwebs

Richy, I have checked and is paid holidays as I know in some contract positions the initial salary is boosted slightly for not paying holiday allowance... in this one however it has paid holidays and a nice salary increase from what I am on at the moment.

19. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Cool!

Then I'd say. when you get the job spec, if you're happy then go for it.

There would normally be no mention of an extension on a fixed term contract, so that's not a problem, but a lot can happen in 12 months...

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  20. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Sounds good to me, 26 days holiday isn't to shabby either! I've been at this place 8 years and I only get 27 and 2 of those are for being management!

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012