Pentium D830 Temp

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MrNice, Oct 30, 2005.

1. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

every wish you never started...

I have finally figured out you can use a 4pin P4 connector on the 8pin connector!
    Oh the joy of quickly connecting it all up again only for the thing to cut out at bios. The CPU temp is 85-90c and is almost definately to blame, any ideas on lowering this? Its a boxed CPU with intel original heatsink and fan on top? I think the max temp from intel is 69.8c

going to try reseating the very crappy heatsink, £210 for a chip with a fisher price toy town heatsink that pops out at one end every time you push down the other!

2. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

Try resetting the heatsink as you said.
    Might be worth checking the condition of the thermal pad on the bottom of it.
    To be honest it sounds like it doesnt have one going by the temp its running at.
    Might be worth redoing the thermal pad by replacing it with another one.
    Or try thermal paste if your going to be troubleshooting it.
    Theres no way its been overclocked?

Neall

WIP: A+
  3. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

About a year after I bought my first computer the cpu went out. I went down to a local shop and upgraded motherboard, cpu, and memory. They installed the cpu, heatsink, and ram. When I got everything installed and started up the computer it would start sounding an over heat alarm within a less than a minute.

I tore the thing down, removed the heatsink, and it was plain from the how the thermal paste was distributed on the cpu and heatsink that the heat sink had not be installed correctly. I reinstalled the heat sink correcly and never had another heat related problem with that computer.

From your description, Mr Nice, that's what your problem is. You haven't seated the heat sink properly on the cpu. The problem isn't the heat sink, it's how it's installed.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  4. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

Alright dudes, thanks for the input.

I removed the thermal pad and applied some thermal compound of my own. CPU temp is now in the mid 40's degrees. Still think the Intel supplied heatsink plastic clips are a joke. Will be monitoring this baby real close.

5. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Worth noting that the stock heatsink is designed and rated for the chip it comes with, not as crappy as people make out
    worth checking its reseated, and maybe check there is a proper layer of thermal paste (if not apply some more)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I find that the Zalman heatsinks/fans allow the chip to run cool and quieter. They aren't cheap though :oops:

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

no doubt boyce :)
    i wasnt saying they are the best, just they will keep the processor within tolerances, so for it to spike that high above norm, means the problems somewhere else :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  8. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

definately, yes

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT