Peeking into the World of Publishing: Royalties

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by tripwire45, Jul 17, 2007.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I got an odd piece of mail from Wiley (Sybex) today. Six sheets of paper all entitled "Royalty Statement" for the PC Technician Street Smarts book. Ohmigosh, there's a lot of detail to go through. I finally gave up and emailed my agent to see if she could explain it to me. It seems that sales have been good enough in the US and Canada plus "foreign sales" that I'm to be expecting royalty checks based on the first six months sales.

Apparently there have been digital sales and a foreign reprint for India.
    Figures are broken down into Gross, Returns, and Net. I guess this means of someone buys the book and returns it (lousy bum), I don't get the money.

I'm not writing this to brag and I'm certainly not going to get rich off of this book, but I'm just surprised and amazed. You always hear about authors getting "royalty checks" but it's always seemed somewhat mythical until now. Of course I only have the statements in hand, not the check. It was a nice, little surprise...especially for a Monday. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Guess I need to talk to Chellis to see where Josh and I stand. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

It's a good thing to know - and it certainly isn't bragging! Having got to know you, technical writing stopped being a mystery job performed by wizards in strange towers. Although the idea of Bill Gates unlocking the door and telling a bunch of straggly wizards to hurry up on the latest MCSE kit would be funny :)

Let's hope the world of fantasy fiction is just as enjoyable :p

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  4. Fluid

Fluid Byte Poster

so i take it you wrote the book? written any other books recently?

5. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Actually my interview at Microsoft did (sort of) open up the door and show me a little about how documentation is done there.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

Good to hear your book sold well and rightly so as its a good book, well written and easy to understand. It helped me a lot when I was revising for my A+ and I'm sure It well getting a fair amount of viewings when I get that entry level PC tech job.

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA