Pearson VUE to stop offering MS exams?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by BosonMichael, Jul 5, 2007.

1. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

According to this link, Pearson VUE will stop offering MS exams as of January 1, 2008. Unsure if this is just for the UK or if this is a worldwide thing... I can't find anything on VUE's worldwide site.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  2. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

Hmmm, I got a mail from Vue (I'm a Vue admin at our test centre) stating that MS stops using Vue as an exam delivery system. If I read this link I also get the feeling that the decision was made by MS.
    I think it is worldwide.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  3. BosonMichael

The PearsonVUE.co.uk link seems to confirm that Microsoft pulled out of VUE, and that no reason was provided to them... or if the reasons were made known, VUE's not saying.

Will try to provide some sort of confirmation link regarding the testing status worldwide... I have a feeling we will know in the next week or so.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  4. ajs1976

ajs1976 Byte Poster

In a post on Trika's blog, there was a comment that MS would be making an announcement next week.

I think the whole thing is odd considering Vue was the test provider at Tech Ed a few weeks.

I normally use Vue when I can, but decided to go with Prometric for my next MS exam just incase. The testing center offers both so it isn't that big of a change for me.

Certifications: MCSE, CCEA, Sec+, L+, N+
    WIP: 2008, CAG, or CCENT (not sure)
  5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

'Tis true and it's a pisser.

I've never got on with Prometric and they seem to be few and far between (if you live in Wales).

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. BosonMichael

Actually, it was a response on her blog from a relatively anonymous poster. Not that I disbelieve... but I'd prefer to wait on something a bit more official... even something from Trika, herself would be great.

7. nicolinux

nicolinux Byte Poster

In Italy they have alredy stopped i suppose.
    I was trying to book my previous exam and i couldn't find any center able to give me an appointment.
    That was in April-may

Certifications: mcse win2k3, mcts x4. mcitp enterprise admin
    WIP: 70-680
  8. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

It's Worldwide.

More politics for you - more changes for no sensible reason.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  9. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Jonny, I must point out that just because the reason is not apparent, it is unlikely anyone would make this decision lightly or if there were not good reasons to do so

I have always had a gripe with Vue, partly because they charge me VAT when Prometric don't, so I end up spending an extra 20 quid on an exam with them, I never did understand that :)

There testing centres have also left a lot to be desired (I've been to my fair share of both VUE and prometric)

I imagine there was indeed a good reason for the change, whether or not we ever know what it is is another matter

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  10. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Phew, I couldn't remember which way round it was, regarding who charged for VAT.

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  11. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Well, it'll put the b*ggers on using getcertify for exam vouchers as they only have Vue International MS voucher, none for prometric :(

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  12. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

Well that really is pants. :x

I've got used to the testing centre I use, and the nearest Prometric one to me is in Coventry now. :dry

Not impressed at all.

J.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270, MCSA
  13. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Just checking where my nearest prometric is I came across this pdf in relation to what was mentioned in the opening post... Long Link

14. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Thinking about it - when I was trying to book my A+ exams I had to book them 3 weeks in advance to get into my 5th closest test centre (still 10 miles away across London) - is this change of heart going to change how long the back log is for get exams booked? I'm asking myself whether I need to book an exam now to take place in September!!

15. Iklekid

Iklekid Bit Poster

This is a pain, now have to travel 100 miles to get to the test center instead of just 30 miles! :cry:

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, CIW Associate & CIW Pro
    WIP: CIW E-commerce and 70-270
  16. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

You may well find many VUE centers become prometric centers if the demand in MS exams is high enough for them to warrant any expense incurred
    see what the future entails :)

Here is the announcement from Trika today

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  17. BosonMichael

Yep. The New Horizons center in Nashville is both a VUE and a Prometric center. They could very easily convert their couple of VUE stations to Prometric stations, if they wanted to do so.

18. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

That's crap. I had a test centre about 5 miles away from me, and now ive got to travel to either Washington or Sunderland:x

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  19. hailstorm

hailstorm Bit Poster

I only just found out about this today. Well annoyed. Currently I only have to hop on the bus for 20 minutes and I can take an exam at a local college in Gloucester.

I would have to spend an hour or perhaps more travelling by train to Swindon to take an exam as thats the nearest to me.

Certifications: ACTC, ACSP, MCP, MCDST, MCSA
    WIP: ACSA
  20. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Fear not folks ! :biggrin

I thought the same, but it looks like most test centres will just go with dual status. Microsoft have gone with Prometric, Cisco have gone with Pearson. Since these are the two most popular vendors most test centres will just support both, otherwise they will just go out of business so it makes sense for them...

I had a chat last time I took an exam and the centre confirmed this, I'd just phone up your local centre if you're worried, I expect they will say the same, if they don't and enough people ring them then they'll prob soon change their mind !