PCI Express or PCI

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by flex22, Oct 22, 2004.

1. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

When will PCI Express be out?
    Do you think it's worth waiting for it, as I want to build a new system I hope to last me a good while, pretty soon.
    Although I don't know much about PCIe, I have got the gist that there's some significant improvements which look really good.

I've ehard you can egt some converter motherboards, which will support PCI and PCIe when it comes out, but I don't know.

This is just really maddening now lol.(pulls hair out)

2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

well, at a 1x PCIe port, the throughput is a whopping 16GB/s at the max throughput. pretty good. but then consider initial MOBO's will also include 1 PCIe x16 slot (for the graphics card) bring that throughput for that device up to a massive 256GB/s. woooohoooo!

they should be out pretty soon to be honest. if they arent out already of course! dont know for definate. but im pretty sure when pcpro did a review on a mobo, graphics card, and sound card they said it would be soon. i COULD look, but im lazy an cant be buggered moving just now! sorry!

Fergal

EDIT: much like PCI/ISA, you will get PCI/PCIe MOBO's, but i wouldnt bother to be honest. stick with PCIe only. from what ive heard its been pretty much accepted as the industry standard now once it gets released, meaning that from now on companies will produce PCIe cards first and foremost!

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

They are already out
    but as mentioned before, unless you got a lower end one, you are looking at having to use DDR2 memory, very expensive, at the mo, especially the ammount you want for VMware

in all honestly Flex, a year down the line, your system will likely be obsolete, but thats not to say it wont still play most the major games etc

problem is we have already moved away from socket 478 and Socket whatever that athlon uses (do they still use socket 7?)

what you could do is get a low end board that supports the new socket 775 and has PCIe and that way you can always upgrade the board at a later date, but you might as well spend more money on the things that will actually last through more than one machine upgrade

ie the flat screens we discussed, hard disk space, etc
    you will likely need to replace Mobo, CPU, Memory and Graphics on a new cutting edge system in a years time, but the rest should still be good

as i said, PCIe is all well and good, but its tied to high end kit at the mo, and that means other high end components i'm afraid :/

EDIT: err, fergal, PCIe is in no way considered the industry standard, its hardly even deployed yet, and has VERY few components available for it. It's the direction the industry is moving toward, yes, but there will be years before we see a PCIe only board (well, apart from top of the line geek gear) up until P3s you could still get ISA slots on most boards

i dont see PCI being removed from boards for a while yet im afraid
    Abit tried to remove the PS/2 and other legacy ports from a mobo recently, and had like 12 USB two ports on it, seemed great, but hardly anyone used it, and hence later incarnations brought back the PS/2 ports

while we may all be cutting edge lovers, the general populace isnt :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Ok so my general feeling now is to not go too crazy atm, because by a years time there'll be some major new changes, which are only just emerging on the market, will be commonplace by then.
    I just read htis about AGP for example
    Industry-wide push to PCI Express will kill off AGP in under two years

So if I spend a bit more on hard disks, lcd's, and also just spend carefully on a decent enough CPU and graphics card, this should be ok, I think.

I just had a thought though, about BTX.
    Won't that knacker most of my system anyway, I mean make more of it obsolete.
    I'm not being naive here, whereby I'm trying to future proof for the enxt ten years or whatever lol.I understand a little, having read articles/books about the history and the course of the PC industry.

I'm just scared witless about making some bloody stupid mistake and then realising it down the line.I want to realise it now lol.
    I'm sure with the advice around here, I'll be fine though, thank god for this place.

I'm thinking more now of being conservative in my ambitions for this new system.I still want more RAM , big hard drives, and graphics cards that'll play current and near future games.
    Then maybe a year or so down the line, I'll do what Pheonix said and replace what I need if I want a top notch system.By then the new standards will be more common and they'll be around for a good while (I hope :rolleyes: )

5. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

it will only make the mobo and case obsolete, and anything that happens to fit into the current mobo that changes, like processor, memory

hard disks, lcds, etc should remain the same, btx will not effect these

6. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

sorry phoenix, thats more or less what i meant. it certainly seems that the industry has decided that PCIe is the next step, as opposed to hypertunnel, etc.

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  7. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

What about the graphics that go to the LCD?

I mean once we're not using AGP, and we're using PCI express will that affect the actual LCD?
    Probably not, but thought I'd check.

8. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

no
    chances are it will still have a standard VGA and or DVI port on it
    been that way since pre ISA :)
    so i wouldnt worry mate :)

9. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster