1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PCI 33mhz + Sata I Raid

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Slipmatt, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Slipmatt

Slipmatt Bit Poster

Am I right in thinking that

PCI 33Mhz = 133MB/s

Sata I = 1.5Gb/s

2 Sata I in raid0 = 3.0Gb/s

so putting a raid0 on a pci card would be pointless as 133MB/s = 1064Mb/s, 3072Mb/s - 1064Mb/s = 2008Mb/s wasted? Or does it not work like that? Any help appreciated.

Certifications: None
    WIP: CompTIA A+
  2. sheepluv

sheepluv Byte Poster

Is that a hardware RAID card,or just a duel SATA port card and s/w RAID 0 ?

Im not sure what the dedicated mainboard SATAs run at

Certifications: CCNA | HND | 70-646
  3. Slipmatt

Slipmatt Bit Poster

just a duel SATA port card and s/w RAID 0 ?

^ This one.

4. SimonD

SimonD Terabyte Poster Moderator

as a minimum you would really want that pci slot to be a pci-x, obviously as you're running software raid you're going to get a slower through put anyway so it's kinda up to you whether you can live with the performance (also I guess it depends on the speed of disk you're using as well).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
    WIP: VCP6-CMA, VCAP-DCD and Linux + (and possibly VCIX-NV).
  5. Slipmatt

Slipmatt Bit Poster

Its network storage on an old system (Asus pundit-s from 2003 or something). Speed doesnt need to be insanely fast, but the mobo only has that PCI and now SATA slots on-board.

okay next question: the PSU is 200W it has one IDE hard drive (70GB), one P4 CPU 2.8ghz and some old skool ram and a cd-rom. I can lose the CD Rom if needed, but will it be able to handle the extra drive on that wattage. Googling shows drives need ~30w to start up and ~7watts to idle?

6. Slipmatt

Slipmatt Bit Poster

... bump

7. sheepluv

sheepluv Byte Poster

Yeh s/w raid has quite an overhead but it really depends on what speeds server you need.

Hmm.. 200w is not large nowadays but older motherboards & CPUs do use less, and no beasty graphics cards.

So your removing the CD Drive (doesnt use much power unless running, still low), just adding a drive. Its old kit and its not a mission critical setup Id expect so just do it and see how it runs. Its always good practice to use a larger PSU than required as its less likely to fail but then your old board may fail etc.. Id just try it out :)

Certifications: CCNA | HND | 70-646