PC Zone magazine is to shut after 17 years

Discussion in 'News' started by UKDarkstar, Jul 15, 2010.

1. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

PC Zone magazine is to shut after 17 years

Britain's first ever magazine dedicated to PC gaming is to cease publication after 17 years.

PC Zone magazine, the sometimes anarchic and irreverent monthly journal, is set to close after 225 issues on 2 September 2010.

Future Publishing, which owns the title, said the closure comes in the wake of a strategic review of its PC games portfolio

At its last audit, PC Zone was only selling about 11,000 copies a month.

The magazine started life in a rather dank and dusty basement in Central London.

It rose from the ashes of Zero, a monthly multi-format games magazine that, like PC Zone, was full of off-beat humour, adolescent jokes and, on occasion, courted controversy.

Full story : HERE

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. greenbrucelee
      greenbrucelee
      Bad news.

Although I must admit for last few years I have just read it in WH Smiths instead of buying it. If I do buy a PC Mag these days its normally custom PC.

The First time I bought PC Zone was back in the days when I used to play Quake on the college LAN :D
    2. Josiahb
      Josiahb
      I stopped reading PCZone years ago, I've picked it up a few times since but the writing just didn't grab me anymore.

I did at one time have a review published in there though, can't actually remember what of unfortunately.....
    3. greenbrucelee
      greenbrucelee
      I once had a game I made for the speccy reviewed in Computer & Video games as part of a competition. My adventure game came second place :D
    4. JK2447
      JK2447
      Its sad but it happens, bring back Crash, SU and YS I say! 8)
    5. cisco lab rat
      cisco lab rat
      Does anyone else do this?? Graze the shelves rather than buying??
    6. UKDarkstar
      UKDarkstar
      Never ! Can't stand it or seing people who do :ohmy

I buy or don't read.
    7. Josiahb
      Josiahb
      I normally have a quick flick through prior to purchase, just to see what else other than the cover stories I can look forward too.

Never stand and read though.
    8. Sparky
      Sparky
      Sad news. Used to always like all the demo software on the CDs back in the day.
    9. wizard
      wizard
      Wow I remember buying the first ever edition, wished I'd kept it now.
    10. greenbrucelee
      greenbrucelee
      I normally od it on my lunch and I only buy if a magazinr has something I can use.
    11. dmarsh
      dmarsh
      Yeah CVG, CU (Commodore User), ZZap 64 or Amiga Format, PCPlus after working put I'd spent about £6K on computer mags I stopped buying computer magazines in the mid nineties...

I think prints days and therefore future publishing's days are numbered...

The software was generally public domain, shareware, open source etc which most people can now download anyway. The days of a cover CD/DVD are already over.
      Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
    12. Modey
      Modey
      Sad news, I always had a soft spot for PC Zone and bought it for a long time right from the first issue. Met up with some of the guys from the mag at one point at a PC related show in Birmingham and played against them on a lan there. David 'uber fragmeister' McCandless and Charlie Brooker. I did have the first issue of it and alsp PC Format until a few years ago. I took them into a place I worked along with some other PC gaming relics and the box they were in were stolen when the place was robbed. Ahh well. :)