PC to PC straight through performance 1000 full duplex

Discussion in 'Networks' started by moonoiuk, Jun 2, 2009.

1. moonoiuk

moonoiuk New Member

Hi there,
    a subject that i have never understood or asked but bugs me everytime i come across it. Can someone help?

If i have two machine connected with a straight through cable (ie. no switch hub router) and both NIC's are set to 1000 full duplex...

1/ why if i pull the file is it faster than sending/ pushing to the other machine?
    2/ if capability is supposed to be 1000Mb why does utilisation never seem to go over an average of say 70%.

Assumptions, there is nothing wrong with the cable and it is only a short run of say 5 meters.

Many thanks,
    Moonoi

2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Why dont you head over to New Members, and introduce yourself. Its always nice to treat the members of the forum as a community, rather than just an encyclopedia.

Im sure that you will get more detailed responses, but consider this:

You own a bugatti veyron. Top speed of 255mph, but it doesnt operate at 255mph continuously does it? Thats just tha 'maximum' utilisation that it can operate at.

More of an IT slant: if the connection operates at 100%, additional communications cannot take place. If your download consumes all 100%, then you will be unable to cancel the download, or continue browsing the other files on the computer until the download completes.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

moonoiuk,

Are you sure the two machines are connected with a straight through cable and not a crossover cable?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  4. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

This! :p

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  5. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Doesn't most devices come with auto MDI/MDIX these days

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  6. Qs

You can't assume that the PCs have auto MDI/MDIX.

Do you know what assume does?

It makes an ass out of u and me. :p

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  7. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Lmao, ok duely noted.

8. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

ThomasMc,

Since the situation mentions PC to PC, do you know of any NICs out there that come with Auto-MDIX technology?

Source:
    1. HP Auto-MDIX technology - http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/abouthp/iplicensing/automdix.html

9. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

No but if its not how is he managing to send files?

Tx -> Tx
    Rx -> Rx

= No connection, does it not

10. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

ThomasMc,

So you'd rather assume that Auto-MDIX NICs are being used with the "...two machine connected with a straight through cable (ie. no switch hub router)..." in order to make file transfer possible than questioning if an appropriate cable was used?

11. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Not at all, What I'm trying to understand is, if hes not using a crossover or one of the nics haven't got Auto MDI/MDIX then how can he transfer files, this is for my benefit as well as the OP

12. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

As it is working, i would assume (yah i know, im an ass) the OP *is* using a crossover cable. Otherwise, it wouldnt work.. either way it doesnt address the question :)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  13. moonoiuk

moonoiuk New Member

That was an ass thing, i was supposed to write cross over! :-) although as most of you have mentioned most NICs can detected this and get on with it.....

Likewise this does not answer the question.... :-)

The cable is Crossover, and still the same thing applies, why slow one way and not the other, and why not more than say 60% taken up of all jobs that are going on not just the file copy, why would the whole bandwidth not be utilised.:eek:

14. Qs

Bad cable? Try another. Crossover is annoying to say the least.

Double check the NIC cards on both PCs. If the problem is only when sending data to a particular computer then check that card/PC first. Make sure it's not being restricted.

Qs